1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can I develop a project around hard disk access times?

1. Jan 7, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I won't be following this format exactly, but I'm trying to come up with an idea for a physics exploration I need to do and I think I'm finally getting close to something. I'm trying to figure out what actual experiments I can do with this topic, and if they're of a high enough level in physics.

I've recently been told about using hard disk drives or CD drives in order to try to find and test an access time formula or something of the sort. Basically some experiment involving hard disk drives.

So, are any experiments possible with something like this? If so, can anyone elaborate on them or give me some resources that I can use to learn of or develop an experiment? Furthermore, would any of these experiments be commensurate with the level of an advanced high school senior physics class, or a basic university level physics class?

Thanks for any help!
    2. Relevant equations
    N/A

3. The attempt at a solution
    I can't seem to find any resources to try and develop an experiment from, despite my searches. Sorry if I'm missing something obvious.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2016 #2

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

4. Jan 7, 2016 #3
    Probably not too easy to do.
    Using a high level language like Oracle SQL one could do something like
    Set Timing On
    Select (retrieve a table (file) line)
    Insert (add a table line)
    Set Timing Off
    And you would get something like
    real: 120 the time in milliseconds
    Getting the real time for accessing the drive would be something that
    the lower level languages used by the hardware developers
    might provide - but that's getting deeper into the software.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted