How Can I Evaluate the Infinite Series (1/y!) for y = 0 to Infinity?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
9 replies · 3K views
kingwinner
Messages
1,266
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


How can I compute
∞
∑ (1 / y!) ?
y=0

Homework Equations


N/A


The Attempt at a Solution


In the middle of a problem from a statistics course, I got this series and forgot how to evaluate an infinite series in general and in particular this one...Please help!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Definition? Maybe, but not a fundamental one.

OP
Not sure why you can't just start summing it up. What do you get? You should be able to see convergence in less then 10 terms.
 
Yes, I know Taylor series, but I've done it quite a while ago...


∞
∑ (1 / y!)
y=0

∞
∑ (1^y / y!) = e^1
y=0

Is the first series equal to the second one?
In other words, can I replace 1 by 1^y in the summand?
Here there is an ∞ involved, and I have heard that 1^∞ is an indeterminant form, so 1^∞ is not the same as 1. So after all can we still replace 1 by 1^y in the infinite series above?
 
No there is no "[itex]\infty[/itex]" involved. That notation only means that y takes on all non-negative integer values. It is never actually equal to infinity!
 
HallsofIvy said:
No there is no "[itex]\infty[/itex]" involved. That notation only means that y takes on all non-negative integer values. It is never actually equal to infinity!

Um...why is it never infinity?
I have no trouble understanding that 1=1^y provided that y is finite, but when y can be infinite...how can 1=1^y=1^∞?
 
Because y has to be an integer. "infinity" is not an integer (or even a real or complex number).
[tex]\sum_{i= 0}^\infty a_i[/tex]
is defined as
[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \sum_{i=0}^n a_i[/tex]
which is a limit and also does not have i or n equal to "infinity" at any point.