How can I gain administrative privileges on my XP machine to install packages?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kenneth Mann
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Kenneth Mann
Messages
424
Reaction score
3
I have a machine with XP, and would like to install packages under my user account, but for this need administrative privileges. I have tried a couple of suggested ways of getting this, but each time I run into a problem.
First I tried:
Start>Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management. then:
System Tools>Local Users and Groups>Users
the problem is, that under "System Tools" I don't have "Local Users and Groups".

Second, in the Administrator account I tried:
(Right Click) My Computer
(Click Manage)
(expand) Local Users and Groups
the problem here is that I again can't get "Local Users and Groups". Does anyone have an answer?

KM
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The administrator user account might be possibility disabled.

You can enable it under groups and users section of system administration.

I'm not running windows so I can't tell you the exact path.
 
Greg Bernhardt said:
It's an option under Control Panel >> User Accounts

Thanks, it worked! This is what we all love about Microsoft. The instructions they give don't always match the actual system - - they keep changing - - apparently to make it exciting.

KM

I'm sorry it took me this long to get back. I sometimes disappear from the scene.
 
Just to add, I think "local users and groups" is in XP pro, not the home edition, so you have to use Gregs option.