I installed SQL Server in Win10...Without Config Manager?

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    sql
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award

Main Question or Discussion Point

[I cannot find my SQL Server Configuration Manager]
Hi, I have installed both SQL Server Express 2017 and SQL Server Developer 2017 (Separately; not one as a Default or Otherwise Instance) , and they have both run without any major problem. Issue now is that I want to allow a remote connection ( I always ran both as local machines) which requires me to ( among other things) enable TCP/IP . But in order to do that I must use the Configuration Manager, which I cannot find my SQL Server Configuration Manager. Is it possible to download it as a stand-alone into SQL Server ( Through Management Studio, say), or do I have to uninstall the whole SQL Server? I don't know anything about Visual Studio which may be another option. I thought Config Manager would install itself automatically but it seems that is not the case.
Any ideas, suggestions, please?
EDIT: My apologies, tunnel vision .
New Question: I am wondering if it would better to install it in the MSSQL Folder in Program Files?

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

pbuk
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Do you know how to allow remote connections through your router? How are you going to keep this secure?

Likes WWGD
pbuk
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Sorry, that wasn't very helpful. What I should have said is that the easiest way to get a SQL Server installation running is to use a cloud service such as Microsoft Azure.

Likes WWGD
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
Thanks all, this seems tied down to the issue I mentioned in other post on having a 32- and 64- bit instances coexisting. Config manager is , in win10, under Computer Management, in case anyone is interested.

WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
Do you know how to allow remote connections through your router? How are you going to keep this secure?
Yes, thanks, I know I have to enable tcp/ip. I need to re read the instructions.

WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
Sorry, that wasn't very helpful. What I should have said is that the easiest way to get a SQL Server installation running is to use a cloud service such as Microsoft Azure.
Well, I am a bit weary after hearing of cases where someone was careless with their free tier in Amazon ,ended up paying a couple $100 by unknowingly using something outside the free tier.

pbuk
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Well, I am a bit weary after hearing of cases where someone was careless with their free tier in Amazon ,ended up paying a couple $100 by unknowingly using something outside the free tier.
Yes, Amazon is worse for this than Azure IME - one big "gotcha" is CloudWatch - a free tier Dynamo DB instance can clock up $$$ in CloudWatch logs on the default settings.

But now I am aware that your budget is approximately £0, I know that any SQL Server cloud service is out of your reach!

Likes WWGD
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2019 Award
Well, not quite £0, but not enough for high-end either.