How can I improve the stability of my DIY maglev train model?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
rossonero
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Good night, I'm trying to do a model of the maglev at small scale, but I'm having a lot of problems to levitate and have stability.
I have already read Earnshaw theory, but in youtube i see many models working, but when i try do replicate doesn't work.

Now i have a rail way with electromagnets and a train with permanent magnets, but beyond the stability problems, in the end of each coil and beginning of another coil i find a gap of magnetic field where the permanent magnets just fall.

I think now try to make a rail with permanent magnets to, but with the magnets i already have, cubes with 1cm, making a rail way with 17 cubes, and putting 3 cubes above, in the extremes i have repulse, but in the middle there is attraction.

I'm already a month of research and experiencing nothing work, i would be very gratefull for any help.

Regards,
Rossonero
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to think about increasing the number of magnets, so that at any time there are enough magnets working to support the train.

Think of it like the electric trains - the power lines aren't continuous, but at any time at least one supply connection is touching them, preventing the train from ending up in a situation without power.