How can I inspire my 7 year old genius?

In summary, a parent of a 7-year-old genius is seeking advice on how to inspire and challenge their child who is easily bored with schoolwork. Suggestions are made to seek out parenting classes to build confidence in dealing with the child, introduce chess as a potential interest, and consider a more customized education to keep up with the child's abilities. It is also noted that many child geniuses eventually grow out of their giftedness.
kith said:
I don't think intelligence as in IQ and niceness are correlated. The problem is not that your classmates were not as intelligent as you but that they didn't respect you because you were different. You suggest searching for an environment where the kid isn't different. jesse73 probably has an environment in mind which respects diversity and I also think that this is better.
I did not even assume that's technically possible to fully govern kids environment, thus expected that diversity is assured anyway. What could be done by parent is only increasing chances of contacting more similar kids, which I strongly encourage.

I think that is also one additional factor - source of models. I suspect that the majority of people on this forums have parents with at least master degree, which was shaping your own expectations for future. (As kid I wanted to do the same job as my father. I finished similar subject on the same university and so far ended in dramatically different job ;) ) This kid has here a disadvantage, thus learning by absorption of some ideas from peers seems for me reasonable.

Physics news on Phys.org
Czcibor said:
I did not even assume that's technically possible to fully govern kids environment, thus expected that diversity is assured anyway. What could be done by parent is only increasing chances of contacting more similar kids, which I strongly encourage.
You are right that a certain amount of diversity is always present. What is often absent is the respect for diversity, e.g. children who are different get bullied. And that's not a given. Schools and social groups are different and it doesn't need to get as radical as Summerhill to find a place where people interact more respectfully.

This is starting to remind me of why I initially hesitated pushing the "Submit Reply" button in both this, and the "Snooze Bar" thread.

There are 7 billion people on this planet. Although we tend to want to try and categorize people into groups, and want to have solutions that fit those groups, I think every person is unique, and requires a unique solution.

Of course, to have a solution, you first need to define the problem.

The first problem I see, is that the original post, is full of opinion:

Hi everyone. I am not a genius.
opinion
But I am told I have a 7 year old genius.
opinion
I am pretty dumb
see opinion #1
and was wondering if anyone out there could just please tell me what I could do to inspire him?
Inspire him for what?
He is VERY AWARE that he is brilliant
opinion
, but I am discovering he is what's known as a "lazy genius".
opinion
When i try to get him to do homework, he is extremely bored and says i know all this and just shouts out the math answers or whatever we are working on.
Fact!
I am unsure how to proceed
Yay! This is why I think you are not as dumb as you present yourself
with a child who is smarter than me.
opinion
If no one knows
They will supply you with their opinion. :tongue:
I thank you for your time.

You are quite welcome. :smile:

get him some books to read, it'll help mold his mind
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-GREAT-ILLUSTRATED-CHILDRENS-CLASSICS-HARDBACK-BARONET-BOOKS/310873789050?rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D163%26meid%3D4907417524639014812%26pid%3D100005%26prg%3D1088%26rk%3D3%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D121276772291%26

if you don't like buying books take him to the library and let him pick out what he wants.

kith said:
I don't think intelligence as in IQ and niceness are correlated. The problem is not that your classmates were not as intelligent as you but that they didn't respect you because you were different. You suggest searching for an environment where the kid isn't different. jesse73 probably has an environment in mind which respects diversity and I also think that this is better.

Yup exactly on all points.

It is rare that a child get bullied for being "smart" however it is common for a child who is smart to be bullied because he is very aware that he is smart and gathers a sense of entitlement. This is as true for adults as children - that people do not like getting the impression that you think you are better than them. The lack of entitlement is part of respect.

It is useful if a child can learn this as he grows up and learn respect that should be given across the board for all intelligence ranges.

Last edited: