How do I graph (In TI-89 titanium) where Y is the independent Variable?

In summary, the conversation is about graphing two given functions, X=-y and X=2y-y^2, on a TI-89 titanium calculator. The Y=editor is displayed as y(x) and the person is wondering if there is a way to change it to X(y). Suggestions are made to rotate the calculator or use PARAMETRIC mode, but the person is still having trouble replicating the graph. Another solution is to use the SOLVE function in the catalog to manually enter each root.
Migkiller
Right now I'm doing Centroids in my math class. we are given two functions.
X=-y
and
X=2y-y^2.

My question is, how do I graph these two functions on my TI-89 titanium. The Y=editor is displayed as y(x). Is there a way to change it to X(y). I was able to plot it out on paper, but I use my calculator to check my work. Any help is appreciated thanks.

Computer science news on Phys.org
Off the top of my head, I can't think of any way, but I don't do much graphing with mine. The easiest solution I can think of is (This may be stupid of me to point out, since it's kind of obvious) to replace y with x in the calculator and vice-versa and just keep track of the change of notation in your head?

If there is a way to do what you ask, I'm sure someone here know how to, but I thought I'd point out the "quick and dirty" fix for the problem.:smile:

A rotation works too: (x, y) --> (y, -x). That way, you can undo the rotation 'by hand'. :smile:

Migkiller said:
X=-y
and
X=2y-y^2.

My question is, how do I graph these two functions on my TI-89 titanium. The Y=editor is displayed as y(x). Is there a way to change it to X(y). I was able to plot it out on paper, but I use my calculator to check my work. Any help is appreciated thanks.
rotate your calculator by pi/2 :)

Migkiller said:
X=-y
and
X=2y-y^2.

Use PARAMETRIC mode, setting, for example, y = t and x = 2t - t^2.

Migkiller said:
I'm trying your guys' suggestion but I still can't replicate the graph. This is the graph I'm trying to produce but I don't need to add the endpoint where both functions intersect.
The graph is located in the link at the bottom page.

I can't tell problem you're having. In PARAMETRIC mode, I get the exact graph. I set tstep = 0.05.

Migkiller said:
X=-y
and
X=2y-y^2.

You should just be able to use the SOLVE function in the catalog from the main screen.
I can't remeber what menu it is under, it may be ALGEBRA.
SOLVE(X=2y-y^2,y) {ENTER}
The copy the answer into the Y editor. If there are roots, you have to manually enter each root i.e if you want to look at the sq_rt of x you have to input two separate equations

y=sq_rt(x)
and
y= -sq_rt(x)

1. How do I graph where Y is the independent variable on a TI-89 titanium calculator?

To graph where Y is the independent variable on a TI-89 titanium calculator, you will need to use the "Y=" function. Press the "Y=" button and input the equation or function you want to graph. Then, press the "GRAPH" button to see the graph on the screen.

2. Can I change the scale of the graph on my TI-89 titanium calculator?

Yes, you can change the scale of the graph by adjusting the window settings. Press the "WINDOW" button and enter the desired values for the Xmin, Xmax, Ymin, and Ymax. Then, press "GRAPH" to see the updated graph with the new scale.

3. How do I plot multiple graphs on the same graphing screen on a TI-89 titanium calculator?

To plot multiple graphs on the same screen, you can use the "Y=" function to enter multiple equations or functions. Alternatively, you can use the "DRAW" function to plot additional graphs on an existing graph. Press the "DRAW" button and then select the type of graph (point, line, circle, etc.) you want to plot.

4. Can I save and recall graphs on my TI-89 titanium calculator?

Yes, you can save and recall graphs on your TI-89 titanium calculator. Press the "VARS" button and scroll down to "Y-VARS". Select "Function..." and choose the desired function to save the graph to. Then, to recall the graph, go to "Y-VARS" and select "Function..." followed by the saved function name.

5. How do I change the color or style of the graph on my TI-89 titanium calculator?

To change the color or style of the graph on your TI-89 titanium calculator, press the "FORMAT" button and select "GRAPH". From there, you can change the color, thickness, and style of the graph. You can also change the color of individual plots if you have multiple graphs on the same screen.