How can I lift more than my weight?

In summary, using a tricep machine, you can apply less force to lift the same weight as if you were using an iron bar, as there is a torque around your elbow which reduces the force needed.
Guni22
There is a tricep machine which is basically a pulley, with some rope connected to a stack of weights and a bar for you to push down on using your triceps on the other end of the rope.

How is it possible that if I'm 140 pounds, I can lift like 180 or more on that machine? If I want to want the weight of 180 pounds, then I must apply more than 180 pounds of force on the bar. But if I only weigh 140 pounds, won't I just be lifted up off the floor? I thought that I could resolve this by thinking that maybe I was just transferring the gravity of my body onto the bar, but my muscles are providing extra force, but isn't that just an internal force?

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually machines don't have you apply the amount of force that gets lifted up. There's levers and pulleys (as you mentioned) which greatly reduce the force you need to lift the weight.

Just placing the pulley on top of the weights would half the force you need to apply. And there's probably other mechanical advantages as well.

180lbs is ALOT of weight to lift with just your triceps.

Can you find a picture of a similar machine by any chance?

For a tricep machine, there is a torque around your elbow, not a vertical lifting force applied at your center of gravity (unlike the lat machine) -- and the torque is in the wrong direction to lift you off your seat!

Last edited:
Guni22 said:
There is a tricep machine which is basically a pulley, with some rope connected to a stack of weights and a bar for you to push down on using your triceps on the other end of the rope.
There are two of these machines at local cetner I go to. One uses a pulley at the weight stack, and the force you apply is 1/2 the weight selected. The other is connected directly to the weight stack and the force you apply is equal to the weight selected. There is a second pulley overhead, but that doesn't reduce the force. Since you'd be lifted off the ground trying to push down 180 lbs, it must be the type where you apply 1/2 the force of the selected weight stack.

russ_watters said:
For a tricep machine ... torque is in the wrong direction.
That would be a bicep machine (pulling up instead of pushing down).

Last edited:
I also found this strange, 1 week ago I tried to lift 70 kg (my mass is 75 kg) with the triceps machine and I could do it easily. I thought that with all the friction (I can hear it, I guess the machine needs some oil somewhere) and I don't feel like my mass is only 5 kg when I lift the weight, I was really astonished.
Can someone explain me how a pulley can help you to lift up to twice your mass? I know it looks like a problem of introductory physics but I'm still surprised of the result. Anyway that would explain why it's so easy to lift up a lot of weight with this machine rather than with an iron bar.

fluidistic said:
Can someone explain me how a pulley can help you to lift up to twice your mass?
You generate a tension on the cable by pushing down on the bar connected to the cable, and that tension remains the same through out the cable back to it's connection point (ignoring friction). At the weight stack with the pulley, there are two runs of the cable going to the weight stack, down from the connection point to the pulley, then back up to the upper pulley. Since there are two runs of the cable lifting the weight, the upwards force from the cable is double the tension. If the weight stack isn't accelerating, then the tension is 1/2 the weight of the weight stack.

Last edited:
Work is force times distance. If you increase the distance over which you apply a force, you can do the same work with a smaller force. This is the principle behind pulleys, levers, ramps, screws, and gears. You use less force but over a longer time to accomplish the same work. It's called "Mechanical Advantage". Archimedes was one of the first ones to exploit this. He famously said, "Give me a place to stand and with a lever I will move the whole world." He also purportedly stunned King Hiero of Syracuse, by lifting a three mast ship out of the water by himself using ropes and pulleys.

1. How can I increase my strength to lift more than my weight?

To increase your strength for lifting more than your weight, you need to incorporate resistance training into your workout routine. This includes exercises such as weightlifting, bodyweight exercises, and resistance bands. Consistency and gradually increasing the intensity of your workouts are key to building strength.

2. Is it possible for anyone to lift more than their weight?

Yes, it is possible for anyone to lift more than their weight with proper training and technique. However, everyone's body is different and has different limitations, so the amount that someone can lift may vary.

3. How can I improve my form to lift more than my weight?

Having proper form is crucial for lifting more than your weight. It is important to first learn the correct form for each exercise from a qualified trainer or through reputable sources. Then, focus on maintaining good posture, engaging your core, and using the correct muscles for the movement.

4. Will lifting more than my weight make me bulky?

No, lifting more than your weight will not make you bulky. Building bulky muscles requires a specific type of training and nutrition that focuses on hypertrophy, which is not the same as lifting heavy weights. Lifting heavy weights can help increase muscle strength and definition without creating a bulky appearance.

5. How long will it take to lift more than my weight?

The amount of time it takes to lift more than your weight will vary depending on your current strength and training program. With consistent and proper training, most people can see significant improvements in their strength within a few months.