How much weight am I lifting when I pick up one end of a canoe?

• Thread starter longtimealaskan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lifting
In summary, the conversation discusses the lifting of a canoe onto a truck and the potential weight being lifted. The participants also consider the effect of mechanical advantage and the distribution of weight in the canoe. They also mention the role of heart surgery and the importance of consulting a doctor for safe lifting practices.
longtimealaskan
I read the responses in "Lifting one end of a beam" and presume my situation would be similar but not quite the same. A beam would have uniform mass throughout but a canoe probably doesn't.

My question: If one end of a 70 pound (15 foot) canoe is sitting on the ground and I pick up the other end and set it on the canoe carrier on my truck, how much will I be lifting? Even though the canoe would probably not have a uniform mass throughout, the weight of one half of the canoe would equal the weight of the other half of the canoe, so my guess would be 35 pounds, probably slightly more since I would be lifting the canoe at a point a couple of feet in from the end.

My reason for asking is I had heart surgery about 3 months ago and I'm supposed to be careful how much I lift. My wife told the cardiologist the canoe weighed 70 pounds, which is true, but I won't be lifting the entire canoe. I'm trying to determine a more precise weight so I can tell the cardiologist.

Physics news on Phys.org
This is still a lever problem ... you are still lifting the entire mass of the canoe, it is just you are doing it through a lever where you have a mechanical advantage.
If the mass of the canoe is symmetrically distributed then you can just use the distance tot he center of mass to help you. It is is not, then it will depend on which end you lift.

I doubt the cardiologist will tell you that any particular weight is ok/not ok. Best go back and ask him when he thinks it's safe to resume normal lifting. Meanwhile get your wife to help?

I would suspect that it has more to do with heart rate and intrathoracic pressure. Get a Fitbit to monitor your heart rate, and make sure to not lift anything that requires you to grunt or hold your breath. Talk to your doctor and find out what is safe and stay well within those limits. Don't push it.

Your estimate sounds good. Assuming a symmetrical canoe and a slow lift then it should be 35 lb. However, if the lift is fast or if you have to drag it then it could be substantially greater.

Likes jim mcnamara
If you lift one corner and the other corner stays on the ground, you should be lifting with about half the force. This is because the height of the center of mass is rising about 1/2 as much as the height of the corner you are lifting is. It's somewhat more complicated if the bottom is curved so the pivot moves when you tilt it, but I doubt you need an exact answer here. When calculating mechanical advantage, the product of distance and force should stay constant to achieve the same work.

1. How does lifting one end of a canoe affect its stability?

Lifting one end of a canoe can significantly decrease its stability. This is because canoes are designed to distribute weight evenly across their length, and lifting one end can cause the center of gravity to shift, making it more prone to tipping over.

2. What is the proper way to lift one end of a canoe?

The proper way to lift one end of a canoe is by using the handles or thwarts located on either side of the canoe. These are specifically designed to distribute the weight evenly and make it easier to carry. It is important to avoid lifting from the middle of the canoe as this can cause damage.

3. Will lifting one end of a canoe damage the hull?

If done correctly, lifting one end of a canoe will not damage the hull. However, if the canoe is lifted improperly or with excessive force, it can cause stress and potentially damage the hull. It is important to use caution and proper technique when lifting a canoe.

4. Can lifting one end of a canoe cause it to bend or warp?

Lifting one end of a canoe can potentially cause it to bend or warp if done incorrectly. This is because the weight of the canoe is not evenly distributed, and the added stress can cause the hull to bend. It is important to use proper lifting techniques and avoid excessive force to prevent any damage.

5. Is it safe to lift one end of a canoe alone?

It is not recommended to lift one end of a canoe alone. Canoes can be heavy and awkward to carry, and attempting to lift one end alone can increase the risk of injury. It is best to have at least one other person to help distribute the weight and make it easier and safer to lift.