Can I hold down more than my body weight on a 1 to 1 system?

In summary, using active resistance of activated muscle, it is possible to apply enough force to not rise up.
Podrat
Can you pull down/hold more weight than your body using your muscles?

Imagine a 1 to 1. One side is suspended 190 pounds, the other is me, 175 pounds. Can i, using my muscles and standing on the ground, hold that suspended weight off the ground?

I understand if i lock out my arms and don't use force to hold the weight ill rise upwards, but using active resistance of activated muscle, is it possible to apply enough force to not rise up?

Also not at an angle. Let's assume its straight up and down. Can my muscles makw up the 20 pounds of force for a net 0?

Physics news on Phys.org
Newton's laws imply that the centre of mass of your body will move if subject to an unbalanced force. An upward pull of more than your weight must lift you off the ground - unless you have something else to hold you down.

Welcome!
What makes you think that the action from your muscles will stop or slow down the weight from raising your body upwards?

Lnewqban said:
Welcome!
What makes you think that the action from your muscles will stop or slow down the weight from raising your body upwards?
Well let's say its the same weight as my body. So if i weigh 175 and the weight suspended on the other side of the 1 to 1 is 175, if i generate momentum to pull the weight down (lifting it on its side), shouldn't my applied force combined with my weight be able to move it?

The human muscles can generate force in a downward direction, does that force not compound with the weight and be able to hold 190 lbs suspended?

PeroK said:
Newton's laws imply that the centre of mass of your body will move if subject to an unbalanced force. An upward pull of more than your weight must lift you off the ground - unless you have something else to hold you down.
So human arms/back/muscles can't generatena force to help hold you down?

Podrat said:
So human arms/back/muscles can't generatena force to help hold you down?
Right. They cannot.

If, hypothetically, they could generate a force to hold you down then it follows by symmetry that they could equally well generate a force to hold you up like a flying saucer.

We do not discuss reactionless drives here.

jbriggs444 said:
Right. They cannot.

If, hypothetically, they could generate a force to hold you down then it follows by symmetry that they could equally well generate a force to hold you up like a flying saucer.

We do not discuss reactionless drives here.
Well when you jump you are creating a force more than your body weight, hence you leave the ground, but of course gravity pulls you back down. I am simply asking, if using that same idea, a person can essentially hold more weight down for a short period of time using self made force from muscles/momentum.

Podrat said:
Well when you jump you are creating a force more than your body weight, hence you leave the ground, but of course gravity pulls you back down. I am simply asking, if using that same idea, a person can essentially hold more weight down for a short period of time using self made force from muscles/momentum.
Yes, for a short time. It all boils down to Newton's laws. For example, I do climbing and if I see my partner likely to fall, I crouch slightly so that although my centre of gravity is pulled upwards by a fall, I'm not immediately pulled off the ground.

Also, you could be cleverer and have your mass moving downwards (momentum). In that case, the upward force first has to reverse your downward momentum, before it starts to move you upwards.

And, of course, if you can generate an external downward force (by pushing up on something), then you can hold more than your body weight. E.g. you can pulldown more than your body weight by trapping your knees under a bar.

Podrat said:
Im simply asking, if using that same idea, a person can essentially hold more weight down for a short period of time using self made force from muscles/momentum.
No. If you stood on a stool and jumped off with slack in the rope the weight would lift when the rope went taut, and similarly if you can hold the rope with your arms bent and then relax your knees and drop your weight. But you cannot stand on a floor and pull down on the rope - you will lift yourself off the floor unless you are glued to the floor or have your toes tucked under something.

Podrat said:
Well let's say its the same weight as my body. So if i weigh 175 and the weight suspended on the other side of the 1 to 1 is 175, if i generate momentum to pull the weight down (lifting it on its side), shouldn't my applied force combined with my weight be able to move it?

The human muscles can generate force in a downward direction, does that force not compound with the weight and be able to hold 190 lbs suspended?
If both bodies weight the same, your arm muscles are shortening the linkage between both of them; therefore, both bodies should go up half of the shortened distance and simultaneously.

As one of those bodies become gradually heavier, it will go up less and less of half of that shortened distance (while the lighter body will go up more).

As one of those bodies become heavier still, a point will be reach at which it does not move under the action of the shrinking linkage, while the lighter body will move up the whole reduced distance of the linkage.
Beyond that point, the heavier body will start moving down, taking linkage and lighter body with it.

Lnewqban said:
If both bodies weight the same, your arm muscles are shortening the linkage between both of them; therefore, both bodies should go up half of the shortened distance and simultaneously.

As one of those bodies become gradually heavier, it will go up less and less of half of that shortened distance (while the lighter body will go up more).

As one of those bodies become heavier still, a point will be reach at which it does not move under the action of the shrinking linkage, while the lighter body will move up the whole reduced distance of the linkage.
Beyond that point, the heavier body will start moving down, taking linkage and lighter body with it.
I have to say I don't find this post very clear.

Podrat said:

Imagine a 1 to 1. One side is suspended 190 pounds, the other is me, 175 pounds. Can i, using my muscles and standing on the ground, hold that suspended weight off the ground?

I understand if i lock out my arms and don't use force to hold the weight ill rise upwards, but using active resistance of activated muscle, is it possible to apply enough force to not rise up?

Also not at an angle. Let's assume its straight up and down. Can my muscles makw up the 20 pounds of force for a net 0?
It sounds to me that you are asking about jerking on a rope with a simple pully holding a heavier weight. You can jerk it off the ground and you will also be jerked off the ground faster than it is. After that, it will fall back down and you will be lifted higher. You can not "hold" it off the ground in any sustained manner.

Likes jbriggs444 and Lnewqban
You might want to rephrase some of that!

• Haha
Likes FactChecker and berkeman
Podrat said:
You could grab the object being lifted and pull it up directly as well as with the pulley. Then you could pull it without going up because it could hold you back down. This would be equivalent to the action of the Bosun's chair with a weight in your lap. If the weight is heavier than you, then you can pull harder than your weight and not move.

1. Can I really hold down more than my body weight on a 1 to 1 system?

Yes, it is possible to hold down more than your body weight on a 1 to 1 system if the system is designed and set up correctly.

2. How does a 1 to 1 system allow me to hold down more than my body weight?

A 1 to 1 system uses mechanical advantage to distribute the weight being held down across multiple points, making it easier for the user to hold down more weight.

3. Are there any limitations to how much weight I can hold down on a 1 to 1 system?

Yes, there are limitations to how much weight a 1 to 1 system can hold down. The maximum weight will depend on the strength and stability of the system, as well as the strength of the user holding it down.

4. Can I use a 1 to 1 system for any type of weight?

Yes, a 1 to 1 system can be used for a variety of weights as long as the system is designed and set up correctly for the specific weight being held down.

5. Is it safe to hold down more than my body weight on a 1 to 1 system?

As long as the system is designed and set up correctly and the user is using proper technique and safety precautions, it can be safe to hold down more than your body weight on a 1 to 1 system. However, it is always important to follow safety guidelines and consult with a professional if unsure.