How Can I Permanently Remove Spider Mites from My Rose Bush?

  • Thread starter Thread starter NeoDevin
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
37 replies · 36K views
turbo brought up dry, hot air. That could be the culprit. Make sure that there is no powdery mildew on the leaves.
 
Biology news on Phys.org
Ok, I moved it away from the heater, I can't see any powdery mildew of any sort.

Thanks again for your help guys (and gals)
 
Last edited:
NeoDevin said:
Ok, I moved it away from the heater, I can't see any powdery mildew of any sort.
Good. See if there if the curling stops and check eery day for mites. Looks like it's really sending out some new growth!
 
Evo said:
Good. See if there if the curling stops and check eery day for mites. Looks like it's really sending out some new growth!

It's been mite free for a couple weeks now, that growth is mostly in the last week, and one of the other branches is just starting to get some growth on it.
 
Are the leaves sprouting already damaged, or did it happen after they looked normal for a while? It could be that the mites had managed to damage the buds before you got rid of them, and the emerging leaves are just damaged from that, and the next round to sprout might be okay.

I didn't even think of the position of the heater. That makes sense too.
 
Moonbear said:
Are the leaves sprouting already damaged, or did it happen after they looked normal for a while?

They're coming out really faded, but otherwise normal. Then they started curling and blackening. I moved it away from the heater, hopefully that will help.
 
NeoDevin said:
They're coming out really faded, but otherwise normal. Then they started curling and blackening. I moved it away from the heater, hopefully that will help.
Fingers crossed. New leaves are delicate and need water/nutrients in their veins to develop. The curled, dessicated edges may be the plant's response to too-rapid water loss. I lost a really pretty grape ivy in college due to (I believe) the fact that the only sunny place big enough for the pot was right over the heater on the window sill. The ivy was fine there until the outside weather got cold and the heater ran a lot. When I got my own apartment (dorms were mandatory for freshmen then), I got another cutting from my mother's plant and it thrived.

Pale new leaves are often a sign of nitrogen deficiency. Note that the soil may not actually be deficient in nitrogen - incorrect pH can inhibit nitrogen uptake even when the nutrient balance is OK. For less than $20, you can get a soils test kit at any good garden shop that let's you test for all major nutrients and pH, and you'll get enough reagent capsules to let you do about a dozen tests of each. "Rapitest" is the trade name my kit was sold under - there are probably a lot more.
 
My rose bush has a new problem (it's not doing well in the appartment since winder came along). The stalks are turning brown and drying out, they seem to be drying out from the bottom up. Any ideas?

On the bright side though, the smaller one is doing well.