How Can I Simplify These Trigonometric Expressions?

Then it's just a matter of simplifying and writing in terms of sec(x).In summary, the first problem can be simplified by using the formula \sin^2{x}+\cos^2{x}=1 and substituting in for \cos^2{x}. For the second problem, factorizing and using a variable substitution will lead to a simplified expression in terms of cot(x). The third problem can be simplified by using the difference of squares formula, and the fourth problem can be simplified by using the formula \sin^2{x}+\cos^2{x}=1 to eliminate the tan(x) term.
mathopressor
these are a couple more math problems I am having trouble with. if you can help me i would appreciate it. if you could just put the number of the problem your helping me with that would be great

1)simplify -3sin^(5)x - 3sin^(3)x cos^(2)x

2.)simplify 2cot^(2)x -3cotx - 9 / cot^(2)x - 9

3.)simplify 5cos^(4)x - 5sin^(4)x and write in terms of cos x.

4.)simplify tan^(2)x + (1 + sec x)^2 write in terms of sec x.

Physics news on Phys.org
mathopressor said:
these are a couple more math problems I am having trouble with. if you can help me i would appreciate it. if you could just put the number of the problem your helping me with that would be great

1)simplify -3sin^(5)x - 3sin^(3)x cos^(2)x
What is the highest common factor in this expression?

Also, notice that almost everything is in terms of sin but we have a [itex]\cos^2{x}[/itex] term. Remember this useful formula

[tex]\sin^2{x}+\cos^2{x}=1[/tex]

so

[tex]\cos^2{x}=1-\sin^2{x}[/tex]

if you apply this substitution, then you'll have everything in terms of sin and will probably be able to simplify even further.

mathopressor said:
2.)simplify 2cot^(2)x -3cotx - 9 / cot^(2)x - 9

You should put brackets around the numerator and denominator as so

(2cot^(2)x -3cotx - 9) / (cot^(2)x - 9)

else it could be misinterpreted as being

[tex]2\cot^2{x}-3\cot{x}-\frac{9}{\cot^2{x}}-9[/tex]

Begin by letting [itex]y=\cot{x}[/itex] so you'll have a quadratic in y in the numerator and denominator, then factorize those quadratics and you should be able to cancel out a common factor, and then convert back to cot(x) at the end.

mathopressor said:
3.)simplify 5cos^(4)x - 5sin^(4)x and write in terms of cos x.
Can you factorize [itex]x^4-y^4[/itex] as a difference of two squares?

mathopressor said:
4.)simplify tan^(2)x + (1 + sec x)^2 write in terms of sec x.

That important formula from earlier

[tex]\sin^2{x}+\cos^2{x}=1[/tex]

if we divide through by [itex]\cos^2{x}[/itex] then we get

[tex]\frac{\sin^2{x}}{\cos^2{x}}+\frac{\cos^2{x}}{\cos^2{x}}=\frac{1}{\cos^2{x}}[/tex]

[tex]\tan^2{x}+1=\sec^2{x}[/tex]

So now you can use this to get rid of the tan(x) term in your expression.

Related to How Can I Simplify These Trigonometric Expressions?

1. What is the importance of the last piece of study material?

The last piece of study material is important because it may contain crucial information or concepts that were not covered in previous materials. It can also serve as a review of all the material studied so far and help reinforce understanding.

2. How should I go about studying the last piece of study material?

It is important to approach the last piece of study material with a clear and focused mind. Start by skimming through the material to get an overview, then read it thoroughly and take notes. Make sure to review any previous material that may be related to the last piece.

3. Can I skip studying the last piece of study material?

No, it is not recommended to skip studying the last piece of material. Even if you feel confident in your understanding of the previous material, the last piece may contain important information or serve as a review for the upcoming exam or assignment.

4. How can I make sure I understand the last piece of study material?

To ensure understanding of the last piece of study material, try summarizing it in your own words, discussing it with a study group or classmate, or creating flashcards or other study aids. You can also take practice quizzes or tests to test your knowledge.

5. Should I only study the last piece of study material or review all previous material as well?

It is important to review all previous material in addition to studying the last piece. This will help reinforce understanding and make connections between different concepts. It also ensures that you have a comprehensive understanding of the subject matter.