How can I solve simultaneous trigonometric equations involving cosine and sine?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Joe_I_Am
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Trig
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
Joe_I_Am
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
How would one go about solving the following equation?

242= 290cos(theta) + 187cos(phi)
0 = 290sin(theta) - 187sin(phi)


I have tried squaring both sides of both equations and adding them, and then using cos2x + sin2x = 1 to narrow some stuff down, and basically only found that:

phi + theta = 123.9 degrees.

But I still feel like I'm stuck. Maybe I'm missing an identity or something, I am terrible with those. Any help would be appreciated.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Just realized I put this in the wrong forum,...sorry guys.
 
Since this is homework, here are some strategy hints

Call your equations above 1,2,3

From 1 get cos[tex]\phi[/tex] in terms of cos[tex]\theta[/tex]

From 2 get sin[tex]\phi[/tex] in terms of sin[tex]\theta[/tex]

substitute into either the formula for

cos ([tex]\theta[/tex] + [tex]\phi[/tex])

or

sin ([tex]\theta[/tex] + [tex]\phi[/tex])

Substituting into 3 will get you an equation in a single unknown.