How can I solve simultaneous trigonometric equations involving cosine and sine?

• Thread starter Joe_I_Am
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
In summary, the conversation discusses how to solve the equation 242= 290cos(theta) + 187cos(phi) and 0 = 290sin(theta) - 187sin(phi). The person mentions trying to use the identity cos2x + sin2x = 1 to narrow down the equations and finding that phi + theta = 123.9 degrees. However, they are still stuck and ask for help. Another person suggests using equations 1, 2, and 3 to solve for a single unknown by substituting for either cos(theta + phi) or sin(theta + phi).
Joe_I_Am
How would one go about solving the following equation?

242= 290cos(theta) + 187cos(phi)
0 = 290sin(theta) - 187sin(phi)

I have tried squaring both sides of both equations and adding them, and then using cos2x + sin2x = 1 to narrow some stuff down, and basically only found that:

phi + theta = 123.9 degrees.

But I still feel like I'm stuck. Maybe I'm missing an identity or something, I am terrible with those. Any help would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just realized I put this in the wrong forum,...sorry guys.

Since this is homework, here are some strategy hints

Call your equations above 1,2,3

From 1 get cos[tex]\phi[/tex] in terms of cos[tex]\theta[/tex]

From 2 get sin[tex]\phi[/tex] in terms of sin[tex]\theta[/tex]

substitute into either the formula for

cos ([tex]\theta[/tex] + [tex]\phi[/tex])

or

sin ([tex]\theta[/tex] + [tex]\phi[/tex])

Substituting into 3 will get you an equation in a single unknown.

Related to How can I solve simultaneous trigonometric equations involving cosine and sine?

1. What are simultaneous trig equations?

Simultaneous trig equations are a system of equations that involve trigonometric functions, where the goal is to find values that satisfy all of the equations simultaneously.

2. How do you solve simultaneous trig equations?

To solve simultaneous trig equations, you can use substitution, elimination, or graphing methods. It is important to use trig identities and principles such as the unit circle to simplify the equations before solving.

3. What is the difference between solving simultaneous trig equations and regular simultaneous equations?

The main difference is that simultaneous trig equations involve trigonometric functions, which adds an additional layer of complexity to the problem. This requires knowledge of trigonometric identities and principles to solve.

4. Can simultaneous trig equations have more than one solution?

Yes, simultaneous trig equations can have multiple solutions. This is because trigonometric functions are periodic, meaning they repeat themselves at regular intervals. Therefore, there can be more than one set of values that satisfy the equations.

5. What are some real-life applications of simultaneous trig equations?

Simultaneous trig equations are commonly used in physics and engineering to model and solve problems involving waves, vibrations, and oscillations. They are also used in navigation and surveying to determine the positions of objects based on angles and distances.