How can I solve the following equation

• Thread starter mdnazmulh
  • Start date
In the case of your equation x+ ln x= c, you would have x= W(ec-1). In the case of ax+ x= c, you would have x= W(-c/ln a). Of course, this only shifts the problem from solving for x to evaluating the W function!In summary, solving equations involving a combination of exponential and transcendental functions can often only be done numerically or graphically. The use of the Lambert W function may provide a solution in terms of an inverse function, but it still requires evaluating the W function.
mdnazmulh

Homework Statement

what is the procedure to solve the following equation for x?
2^x + 6x = 16

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried as following but it didn't work,
2^x + 6x = 16
2^x + 6x = 2^4
2^x + 6x = 2^4
(2^x) / 2^4 + (6x)/ 2^4 = 1
2^(x-4) + 6x/16 = 1
2^(x-4) + 3x/8 = 1
taking LCM,
8[2^(x-4)] + 3x = 8
[2^3][2^(x-4)] + 3x = 8
2^(x-1) + 3x = 8
after this stage I couldn't go farther..
The answer is x=2, but how to obtain it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

I doubt whether this is the sollution you wanted to see, but this kind of equations are usually solved numerically [please correct me if I am wrong].
My proposition:

we have a function:
[tex]f(x) = 2^x + 6x - 2^4[/tex]
three facts that are obvious:
  • the function is continuous and strictly increasing
  • [tex]f(0) < 0[/tex]
  • [tex]f(4) > 0[/tex].
Realizing that it is a darboux function, we know that there exists such an "a", that [tex]f(a) = 0[/tex]. You can know write a computer program, to see the approximate number or you can guess it for yourself, cause the function you have is pretty student-friendly:

[tex]f(0) < 0 \wedge f(4) > 0[/tex]
[tex]f(1) < 0 \wedge f(4) > 0 [/tex]
[tex]f(1) < 0 \wedge f(3) > 0 [/tex]
[tex]f(2) = 0 [/tex]

hey! that's my answer!

maybe there is some smart way to do a few algebraic operations in order to get this '2' but I can't find it. I hope my post was somehow helpful to you.

rahl

The way u showed is not what I wanted. I don't have any idea about darboux function.
Can't we solve the above equation in any other easier way?

And how do we solve x + ln x = c ( c is some constant) or, a^x + x = c (a,c r constants) equations?

It can be solved graphically.

Rearrange it:

[itex]2^x + 6x = 16[/itex]

[itex]2^x = 16 - 6x[/itex]

Now plot both of the functions and it can be easily read from the graph (of course check it analytically) that they intersect at (2;4) so x = 2 is the root you're looking for.

If you are looking for a solution in terms of an "elementary function", there is none. That is generally true of equations that involve the variable both "inside" and "outside" a transcendental function.

You could use the "Lambert W function",
http://mathworld.wolfram.com/LambertW-Function.html,
which is defined as the inverse function to f(x)= xex. For example, if x+ ln x= c, then ln x= x+ c. Taking the exponential of both sides, x= ex+ c= exec so, dividing both sides by ex, xe-x= ec. If we let u= -x, then x= -u and we have -ueu= ec or ueu= -ec. Applying the W function to both sides, u= W(-ec). Then x= -u= -W(-ec).

1. How do I know which method to use to solve an equation?

The method you use to solve an equation depends on the type of equation you are dealing with. For linear equations, you can use techniques such as substitution, elimination, or graphing. For quadratic equations, you can use the quadratic formula or factoring. It is important to identify the type of equation and choose the appropriate method to solve it.

2. Can I use a calculator to solve an equation?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve equations. However, it is important to understand the steps involved in solving an equation manually before relying on a calculator. Additionally, some equations may have multiple solutions or complex roots that require further understanding and manipulation.

3. How do I check if my solution to an equation is correct?

To check if your solution is correct, you can substitute the value you found for the variable back into the original equation. If the resulting equation is true, then your solution is correct. You can also use a graphing calculator to graph both sides of the equation and see if they intersect at the solution.

4. What should I do if I get a negative or complex solution to an equation?

If you get a negative or complex solution to an equation, it means that the equation has no real solution. This could happen when solving quadratic equations using the quadratic formula, or when solving equations involving square roots. In this case, it is important to state that the equation has no real solution and move on to the next problem.

5. How can I solve an equation with multiple variables?

An equation with multiple variables can be solved by using techniques such as substitution or elimination. You can solve for one variable in terms of the other and then substitute this value into the other equation to find the solution. Another method is to isolate one variable on one side of the equation and then solve for the other variable.