How Can I Teach Myself Chemistry After 20 Years Away from Textbooks?

In summary, the person is planning on getting a college degree and will be doing two chemistry courses. They will need to be familiar with basic math and science in order to succeed in the courses.
Lockie123
After 20 years of being a locksmith, I have decided that I want to get a college degree and I'll be starting next year! As part of my degree, I will be doing two chemistry courses which will cover:

- Intermolecular forces, chemical equilibrium, energy considerations and chemical reactivity applied to aspects of chemistry and biochemistry
- Structure of the atom and molecular bonding
- Chemistry of the metals and non-metals
- Bonding in transition (d-block elements, coordination complexes, bioinorganic systems)
- Aspects of acid/base equilibria, kinetics and electrochemical processes
- Importance of molecular shape and how chemists determine the structure of compounds using spectroscopic techniques including ultraviolet, infrared and nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy
- Chemical synthesis with reference to addition and subtraction reactions
- Strategies for synthesis and properties of biologically significant molecules

The problem? It has been two decades since I've touched any textbook, let alone a chemistry textbook, yet I need to learn chemistry from 'what is chemistry?' to first year college chemistry that is rigorous and has a lot of math in it.

If you were in my situation, what would your strategy be? Should I be able to start from a university chemistry textbook?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know enough math to at least do some basic mathematics, such as some simple algebra? After 20 years, there is a good chance you don't have that under your belt. I would pick up a math book for the freshman high school level and do some reading to get acquainted with doing some algebraic manipulations, and once you feel comfortable with that, start off with a first year high school chemistry book.

Something like this would be suitable basic chemistry, which would be on the level of high school chemistry
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0538736372/?tag=pfamazon01-20

And if you need to brush up on algebra I, take a look at this
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0470559640/?tag=pfamazon01-20

These are both quite cheap, just a few dollars. No need to spend a lot of money. Also, look at khanacademy.org to watch videos that give good explanations for math and science, from basic arithmetic all the way beyond calculus. This should keep you busy for a while and get you ready for school.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers @Maylis!

Related to How Can I Teach Myself Chemistry After 20 Years Away from Textbooks?

1. What resources are available for teaching yourself chemistry?

There are many resources available for teaching yourself chemistry, including textbooks, online courses, video tutorials, and practice problems. You can also find study guides and review books specifically designed for self-study.

2. How can I make sure I am understanding the material correctly?

One way to ensure your understanding is to regularly test yourself with practice problems and quizzes. You can also join online study groups or find a study partner to discuss difficult concepts and ask questions.

3. Is it possible to teach yourself chemistry without any prior knowledge?

While it may be more challenging, it is possible to teach yourself chemistry without any prior knowledge. It is important to start with the basics and build a strong foundation before moving on to more complex topics. Utilizing a variety of resources can also be helpful in understanding the material.

4. Can I teach myself chemistry if I am not good at math?

Chemistry does involve some math, but it is possible to learn and understand the concepts even if you are not strong in math. Many resources offer step-by-step explanations and practice problems to help you improve your math skills as you learn chemistry.

5. How long does it take to teach yourself chemistry?

The time it takes to teach yourself chemistry depends on your prior knowledge and dedication to studying. It is important to set realistic goals and create a study schedule to stay on track. With consistent effort, you can make significant progress in a few months, but mastering chemistry may take longer.