1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Chemistry Introductory textbook on Chemistry

1. Jun 19, 2015 #1

gillouche

Gold Member

Hello PF !

I am going to start a bachelor's degree in physics in September. I am looking for an introductory textbook on Chemistry. The university is new in Europe and we don't seem to have specific textbooks to buy. We have more like recommended textbooks.

Here is the objective and the topics of the course :

Semester 1
    Recommended textbooks for semester 1 :
    Shriver and Atkins, Inorganic Chemistry, 4th addition, oxford university press.
    Housecroft and Sharpe, Inorganic Chemistry, 3rd addition, Pearson Prentice Hall.
    Paul Arnaud : Chimie Physique (Ed. DUNOD) ; Dernière édition

Semester 2
    Only practical work in labs.

Semester 3
    Recommended textbook for semester 3 :
    Organic Chemistry by either / or
    • Vollhardt and Schore
    • Clayden
    • Morrison and Boyd
    • Brown, Foote, and Iverson

Would you have any textbook to recommend ?

Thank you very much.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 24, 2015 #2
    Thanks for the post! This is an automated courtesy bump. Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

4. Jun 25, 2015 #3

gillouche

Gold Member

5. Jul 11, 2015 #4
    For Semester 1 & 2, the curriculum is that of the US AP Chemistry curriculum.

I took AP Chemistry and found the following textbook to be very useful.

Kotz and Treichel (used in high school class) - very good book. Here's a sample syllabus that shows the complete coverage of the course material (copy and paste it in).
    www.chemmybear.com/ucr2011/pauls_audit_syllabus.pdf

The Semester 3 curriculum is that of the Organic Chemistry curriculum. I would recommend Vollhardt and Schore (heard good things about it from other chemistry undergrad students, this was used in our undergrad course for both Organic Chemistry I and II).

6. Aug 12, 2015 #5

gillouche

Gold Member

Thank you for those information !

I missed your reply, sorry about that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted