How can I test the frequency of a vibration

In summary, depending on the vibration frequency range, type of instrument, and goal of the test, various types of instruments can be used to measure vibration.
DarkTiger
For a project i want to see which viration dampeners would work most effiecently is there any way i could use some sort of invention other then an accelerometer to test this?

Physics news on Phys.org
That might depend upon what frequency range you're dealing with, and how large the thing to be tested is.

It's not uncommon to use:
accelerometer
strain gauge
laser or non-laser reflective angle measurement
laset or non-laser reflective interferometry
doppler radar
doppler acoustics
sonar
eddy current position sensor
capacitive position sensor
hall effect magnetic pickup
listen for acoustic waves

just depends on the size and material and frequency
of vibration, the surrounding medium, and the
measurement apparatus available.

Ok what i want to test is the vibrations set of by a tennis racket while i have a shock absorber on.
I want to use three diffrent types in three diffrent tests.
in order to be accurate i want to determine the "shock" that is given to the user holding the racket
So how can i set up this test?

You're pretty much describing a classic rap test for modal characteristics. Basically you outfit the test samples with an array of accelerometers and you strike the sample with a special hammer. You can see this here (about half way down):
http://www.ata-engineering.com/solutions/modal_page.htm

You could also put it on a shaker and mount the racket so it represents how it would be held. You would then run the shaker through a spectrum of vibrations and measure the output responses at the isolator.

Last edited by a moderator:
But where do get the stuff to make that test?

I've a idea..but not sure about it... I think the simplest way is by using sound wave... get a high sensitive mircrophone... embled it in a solid material...I mean cover the microphone with material like clay...then stick the clay on top of the virbrating part...play the recorded sound on a pc... U should be able to see frequency spectrum..

TIPS : there are a lot of freeware to view frequency spectrum of sound data..

Let me know if this works?

Guna82m said:
I've a idea..but not sure about it... I think the simplest way is by using sound wave... get a high sensitive mircrophone... embled it in a solid material...I mean cover the microphone with material like clay...then stick the clay on top of the virbrating part...play the recorded sound on a pc... U should be able to see frequency spectrum..

TIPS : there are a lot of freeware to view frequency spectrum of sound data..

Let me know if this works?
You are not too far off. We use microphones to pick up turbine and compressor blade natural frequencies during modal tests. You do sacrifice amplitude information by doing it this way, but really, we are just concerned with finding modes. It is a viable option. You don't have to put anything around the microphone. It does have to be in very close approximation though.

Ok thanks i will try that :)
Thank you all for your suggestions :)

1. What equipment do I need to test the frequency of a vibration?

To test the frequency of a vibration, you will need a vibration sensor, such as an accelerometer, and a data acquisition system, such as a computer or oscilloscope, to record and analyze the data.

2. How do I set up the equipment to test the frequency of a vibration?

The vibration sensor should be securely mounted to the object or surface that is vibrating. The data acquisition system should be connected to the sensor and set to record the data. It is also important to ensure that the equipment is calibrated correctly for accurate measurements.

3. What is the process for collecting and analyzing data to determine the frequency of a vibration?

The data acquisition system will record the vibration data over a certain time period. This data can then be analyzed using software or by hand to determine the frequency of the vibration. The frequency can be calculated by finding the number of peaks or cycles in the data and dividing by the time period.

4. Can I use my smartphone to test the frequency of a vibration?

While some smartphones have built-in sensors such as accelerometers, they may not be accurate enough for precise frequency measurements. It is best to use specialized equipment designed for vibration testing.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when testing the frequency of a vibration?

Yes, it is important to wear appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves and safety glasses, when handling equipment and working near vibrating objects. It is also important to follow all safety guidelines and procedures provided by the equipment manufacturer.