How a solid body emits a lower frequency photon than absorbed

In summary, In a solid, the energy absorbed by a molecule can be converted to kinetic energy in a variety of ways. This might include vibration, rotational, or translational energy.
FrankJ777
I’m trying to understand how a solid body changes the wavelength of radiation it re-radiates from that which it originally absorbed. I’m thinking in context to the way that the Earth absorbs higher frequency radiation from the sun, but when it re-emits the energy it’s at a much lower frequency.

What I *think I understand is that; approximating Earth and the sun as black bodies; the sun being at a much higher temperature radiates energy where the peak of the distribution is at a high frequency. The Earth absorbs the higher frequency energy and becomes “warmer”. When the Earth re-radiates the energy, because it’s at a much lower temperature, the distribution of radiation has a peak at a much lower frequency (IR).

But also I thought that heat radiation is transferred at discrete energies. Where IR radiation is absorbed in a molecule by causing rotation and vibration, and re-radiated at the same frequency. While higher frequency radiation is absorbed by promoting an electron to a high state, and when it falls back to ground state it emits a photon of the same energy/frequency. In solids I *think that electron energies exist in continuous bands, but I thought that the same would apply as in a gas, where a photon with energy hv of visible light promotes a single electron to a higher state, exactly hv greater, and then it emits another photon also with energy hv. So how is radiation ever “converted” from high frequency light to IR? I suppose that the IR is radiated due to rotation and vibration of molecules? ... So is the question I should be asking is “how is visible light converted to kinetic energy?

Physics news on Phys.org
FrankJ777 said:
But also I thought that heat radiation is transferred at discrete energies. Where IR radiation is absorbed in a molecule by causing rotation and vibration, and re-radiated at the same frequency.

No, not necessarily. Once a molecule has absorbed energy and started vibrating, rotating, etc, it can often get rid of that energy in a continuous manner instead of a discrete manner. For example a molecule can collide with another molecule and lose half of the energy that it absorbed. Or a third. Or some other fraction. Or it could gain even more energy.

FrankJ777 said:
While higher frequency radiation is absorbed by promoting an electron to a high state, and when it falls back to ground state it emits a photon of the same energy/frequency.

This is only an accurate description for single atoms. Molecules have more degrees of freedom in which to interact and, and the larger the molecule the more degrees of freedom it has. This means that an electron can lose energy in more ways than just emitting a photon.

FrankJ777 said:
So is the question I should be asking is “how is visible light converted to kinetic energy?

Imagine that a photon is absorbed and the energy is transferred to the molecule in the form of the rotation of part of the molecule around another part. A collision between this molecule and another could transfer that rotational energy into kinetic energy for the 2nd molecule, sort of like a bat hitting a ball.

Thanks for the explanation!

If i can follow up though, I'm trying to think more specifically about higher frequency radiation (visible light). In solids, as opposed to gasses is there more possibility that a molecule can absorb photons through vibration, rotational modes, instead of electron promotion?

If a solid does absorb a photon through electron promotion, can the energy, or part of it be converted to rotation or vibration?

Also, just so I'm clear, I thought molecular vibration and rotation were "kinetic energy", is that correct?

FrankJ777 said:
If i can follow up though, I'm trying to think more specifically about higher frequency radiation (visible light). In solids, as opposed to gasses is there more possibility that a molecule can absorb photons through vibration, rotational modes, instead of electron promotion?

I believe so, but I confess I'm not an expert, so I can't offer any details.

FrankJ777 said:
If a solid does absorb a photon through electron promotion, can the energy, or part of it be converted to rotation or vibration?

That's a good question and I wish I knew enough to answer it. I think it can, but I don't know what the requirements would be for that to happen.

FrankJ777 said:
Also, just so I'm clear, I thought molecular vibration and rotation were "kinetic energy", is that correct?

I'm not sure. I was just thinking of translational motion as kinetic energy.

Awesome. I think you've cleared things up enough so that I can refine my question and possible post in the "Condensed matter" forum. It seems like this would be right up there alley. Also seems like a course in statistical mechanics would help. If I ever have time someday, I think I'll take one.

1. Why does a solid body emit a lower frequency photon than it absorbs?

This phenomenon is known as the Stokes shift and it occurs due to the energy loss during the emission process. When a solid body absorbs energy, it goes through a series of electronic transitions before emitting a photon. However, not all of the absorbed energy is re-emitted as a photon and some is lost as heat. This results in a lower frequency photon being emitted compared to the absorbed energy.

2. Is this phenomenon observed in all types of solid bodies?

Yes, the Stokes shift is observed in all types of solid bodies, including metals, semiconductors, and insulators. It is a fundamental property of solid state physics and is governed by the materials' electronic band structure and vibrational modes.

3. Can the Stokes shift be controlled or manipulated?

Yes, the Stokes shift can be controlled and manipulated through various methods such as changing the material's composition, structure, or temperature. This is important in applications such as optoelectronics, where the desired emission wavelength needs to be tuned.

4. How does the Stokes shift affect the color of an object?

The Stokes shift can affect the color of an object by changing the wavelength of light that is emitted from the object. For example, if a material absorbs blue light and emits red light due to the Stokes shift, the object will appear red in color. This is the basis for fluorescent and phosphorescent materials, where the Stokes shift is utilized to create different colors.

5. Are there any practical applications of the Stokes shift?

Yes, the Stokes shift has many practical applications in various fields such as optoelectronics, materials science, and biochemistry. It is used in devices such as lasers, LEDs, and solar cells, as well as in techniques for studying molecular and cellular processes. Understanding and controlling the Stokes shift is crucial for the development of new technologies and materials.