How can i use 5V to switch 24V on/off?

• Thread starter opmal7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Switch
In summary, the conversation discusses using a joystick to control a motor with an electric motor brake built in. The goal is to have a button on the joystick engage and disengage the brake, but the button only operates on 5VDC while the motor runs on 24VDC. The suggestion is made to use a relay to switch the 24V from the 5V button and the individual is directed to an electrical supplier to obtain one. The concept of a dead man's switch is introduced and it is explained how the button is currently wired into the motor controller. The individual is thanked for their help and offered assistance in wiring the circuit if needed.
opmal7
I'm working on a project that uses a joystick to control a motor. The motor has an electric motor brake built in, and I want to be able to engage/disengage the brake with a button on my joystick.

The motor runs on 24VDC, and the joystick runs on 5VDC. I currently have the button on the joystick configured as a dead man's switch for the motor (button has to be pressed to move the motor), and I would like to have the same button disengage the motor brake.

I'm not real familiar with relays or other electronic equipment. Is there a device that I can wire the 5V button to as input, and have 24V as output to the motor brake?

Thanks in advance for any suggestion/info.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is there a device that I can wire the 5V button to as input, and have 24V as output to the motor brake?
Yes: it's called a relay.
I'm not real familiar with relays or other electronic equipment.
Looks like you are about to become familiar then.

Go to an electrical suppliers and say "I want a relay to switch 24V from 5V".
They'll ask if you want normally open or normally closed (I guess you want open).
They'll give you one.

How did you rig the dead-mans-switch?
Sounds like you have a single-pole button and you want it to do two tasks.

Thanks for the info. I'll see what I can find in 5V to 24V relays.

The push-button is wired into the motor controller as a digital input. The motor controller's software allows me to configure the digital input as a dead-man's switch. Your correct saying I want the single-pole button to have 2 functions. The motor brake is engaged when the motor is not moving to prevent back-driving. Pushing the button releases the motor brake and allows the motor to move. This will prevent someone from trying to move the motor while the brake is engaged which would push a lot of current to the brake or apply a lot of torque and possibly cause it to fail.

Again, thanks for the info.

I don't really understand your project. But I think you want to drive 24V from 5VDC. It's not difficult. You only need one 5V relay to control 24 motor. If you will, I can show you how to wire the circuit. It's not difficult. Take it easy.

1. How can I use a 5V power supply to switch a 24V circuit on and off?

To switch a 24V circuit on and off using a 5V power supply, you will need to use a voltage step-up circuit or a relay. A voltage step-up circuit will increase the 5V output from the power supply to 24V, allowing it to switch the circuit on and off. A relay, on the other hand, uses the 5V signal to control a switch that can handle the 24V load.

2. Can I use a transistor to switch 24V with 5V?

Yes, you can use a transistor to switch 24V with 5V. The transistor acts as a switch and can be controlled by the 5V signal. However, it is important to choose a transistor with appropriate voltage and current ratings to handle the 24V load.

3. What is the difference between a voltage step-up circuit and a relay?

A voltage step-up circuit increases the voltage from a lower level to a higher level, while a relay is an electrically operated switch. A voltage step-up circuit is a more compact solution and does not have any moving parts, while a relay may have a longer lifespan and can handle higher voltage and current levels.

4. Can I use a 5V microcontroller to switch 24V?

Yes, you can use a 5V microcontroller to switch 24V. However, you will need to use a transistor, voltage step-up circuit, or a relay to interface between the microcontroller and the 24V circuit. It is important to choose components with appropriate voltage and current ratings to ensure safe and reliable operation.

5. Is it safe to use a 5V power supply for a 24V circuit?

No, it is not safe to directly use a 5V power supply for a 24V circuit. The 5V power supply may not be able to handle the higher voltage and current requirements of the 24V circuit, which can cause damage to the power supply and potentially create a safety hazard. It is important to use appropriate circuitry, such as a voltage step-up circuit or a relay, to switch the 24V circuit using the 5V power supply.