How can I wire a bipolar stepper motor to switches for my laser engraver?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 3K views
Scottydntno
Messages
4
Reaction score
3
TL;DR
Trying to wire a bipolar stepper motor to a switch(s)
Hello everyone,

I currently bought a Z axis table for my laser engraver. I am trying to hook the stepper motor up separately. I currently have a 12v transformer, a capacitor, 2 push button switches and one 3 way switch along with the stepper motor. Is there any way I can wire the stepper to the switches?
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Which stepper motor is it? Can you post the datasheet? Are you familiar with the drive waveforms for steppers, to step each direction and to hold position?
 
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

Which stepper motor is it? Can you post the datasheet? Are you familiar with the drive waveforms for steppers, to step each direction and to hold position?

I bought the Z Table from Lightobjects.com they have been very "not" helpful with ANY information. I can get the motor to move in one direction but then I would need to manually switch the wires over. I would like to be able to driver the stepper motor in both directions via 1 switch for up and one switch for down.
 
Is this the circuit you made?
You don't mention a controller.
1576956711895.png
 
Scottydntno said:
Is a controller the ONLY way to run a stepper motor?
You had, or did not have, a controller when it ran in one direction.
Is that your circuit?
 
Scottydntno said:
Is a controller the ONLY way to run a stepper motor?
Of course not. If demands of positioning and activation are simple enough one can make relay network instead of a controller to run it.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: berkeman
Yes you must have a controller. a stepper requires on off pulses on each of 3 or perhaps 4 ciircuits. It can be done with logic circuits
 
Thank you all for your advise, but I was successful at running the bipolar stepper motor with a 12v transformer, capacitor, and a 3 way momentary switch in both directions flawlessly. 😎😎
 
Attachments
  • 20191221_203031.jpg
    20191221_203031.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 269
  • 20191221_203044.jpg
    20191221_203044.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 243
  • 20191221_203034.jpg
    20191221_203034.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 263
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 256bits, dlgoff and berkeman
Scottydntno said:
Thank you all for your advise, but I was successful at running the bipolar stepper motor with a 12v transformer, capacitor, and a 3 way momentary switch in both directions flawlessly. 😎😎
Yes. You were successful running it. That's good.
Choosing the right capacitor so that one coil is 90 degrees out of phase, or nearly, with the other coil does the trick. So now the motor runs somewhat like a regular motor, but IIR, not as efficiently.

But with the capacitor circuit, moving the table to a particular position is quite near impossible. The motor will run back or forth, but getting it to an exact position requires a keen eye and some luck, which when moving your table may not be satisfactorily reproducible each and every time.
Stopping and holding it at a particular position requires additional circuitry.
To count the number of rotations of a motor or shaft, have an external counter - ie magnetic pickup, photo diode,... One doesn't need a stepper motor. You could count the number of AC cycles, but the acceleration of the motor and ( changing) torque upon it, makes that problematic.

But you have a stepper and should make use of its features.
The thing about a stepper is that you can set the amount of rotation of the motor by energizing the coils in a certain way. See post #7. The motor "steps" into the next "degree" of rotation.
You need a counter to count the steps, either up or down from some zero position, some transistors( relays ) connected to each coil, and some logic circuitry to turn the transistors on and off in a particular fashion.
You can make your own circuitry, or a use package on a chip.
I have always like this page.
http://homepage.divms.uiowa.edu/~jones/step/circuits.html
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: sysprog
Scottydntno said:
Thank you all for your advise, but I was successful at running the bipolar stepper motor with a 12v transformer, capacitor, and a 3 way momentary switch in both directions flawlessly. 😎😎
Your 3 way switch is thed controller.