How can light propagate through Hollow optical fiber.

In summary, The hollow optical fiber avoids the path loss through the glass so, if reflections can be made to rival the efficiency of TIR, the net loss over a long path could be less.
KT KIM
Now I am studying a bit of optical fibers. And of course generally optical fiber works because of total reflection property of the light, which happens when the light from higher medium hits the lower medium material.

However I recently found out that there also is a thing 'Hollow optical fiber' which the core is hollowed out, filled with an air. I think the propagation should not happen because total reflection won't work here, but it works perfectly fine. I've hit some papers and got some keywords like 'band gap waveguide', 'photonic crystal' etc... but still can not understand it.

Can you give me a brief explanation, or just let me know where should I start with first?

Science news on Phys.org
@KT KIM: How about a few references about this idea? If you've been reading then save us from having to search for what you're describing.

The hollow fibre seems to avoid the path loss through the glass so, if reflections can be made to rival the efficiency of TIR, the net loss over a long path could be less. We tend to assume that TIR is the only reflection worth considering. The above link seems to stress the improved transmission speed so, perhaps it's not so much aimed at long distance paths but at local connections. 3.5dB per km is not going to take you across the Atlantic easily.

KT KIM said:
Can you give me a brief explanation, or just let me know where should I start with first?

It's not clear to me if you are talking about photonic bandgap fibers (which can have a cavity in the center) or some sort of hollow 'light pipe'.

Photonic bandgap fibers are best analyzed in terms of wave optics, not ray optics. The interior is very inhomogeneous and is designed to allow only certain field modes to propagate. Having air (or vacuum) in the center is useful for high-power applications because there's no damage to the material.

Likes sophiecentaur
Andy Resnick said:
It's not clear to me if you are talking about photonic bandgap fibers (which can have a cavity in the center) or some sort of hollow 'light pipe'.

Photonic bandgap fibers are best analyzed in terms of wave optics, not ray optics. The interior is very inhomogeneous and is designed to allow only certain field modes to propagate. Having air (or vacuum) in the center is useful for high-power applications because there's no damage to the material.

More exact to say, I wanted to talked about, Photonic crystal fiber (including photonic bandgap fiber), maybe 'hollow optical fiber' was not a good word choice, excuse me.

KT KIM said:
More exact to say, I wanted to talked about, Photonic crystal fiber (including photonic bandgap fiber), maybe 'hollow optical fiber' was not a good word choice, excuse me.

Try starting with this:

OPTICS LETTERS / Vol. 25, No. 2 / January 15, 2000
Analysis of air-guiding photonic bandgap fibers
Jes Broeng, Stig E. Barkou, Thomas Søndergaard, and Anders Bjarklev

We present what is to our knowledge the first theoretical analysis of air-guiding photonic bandgap fibers. The
fibers are characterized by a large hollow core and a microstructured cladding exhibiting photonic bandgap
effects. Using an efficient, full-vectorial numerical method, we explain the operational principle of the fibers
and obtain detailed information about the properties of the air-guided modes. This information includes
accurate determination of the modes’ spectral extent, cutoff properties, and mode-field distributions.

I presume the photonic action gives us a hollow tube with reactive walls, which therefore reflect nearly all the energy. It seems equivalent to a metal waveguide with deep corrugations.

1. What is Hollow Optical Fiber?

Hollow optical fiber is a type of optical fiber that has a hollow core surrounded by a thin layer of glass or plastic. This allows light to pass through the center of the fiber, rather than being confined to the core like in traditional optical fibers.

2. How does light propagate through Hollow Optical Fiber?

Light propagates through Hollow Optical Fiber by reflecting off the inner walls of the fiber as it moves through the hollow core. This reflection allows the light to travel in a straight path through the fiber without being absorbed or scattered, resulting in minimal loss of signal.

3. What are the advantages of using Hollow Optical Fiber?

There are several advantages of using Hollow Optical Fiber, including lower signal loss, higher bandwidth, and greater flexibility. Since light is able to travel in a straight path through the hollow core, there is less attenuation of the signal compared to traditional optical fibers. This allows for longer transmission distances and higher data transfer rates. Additionally, the hollow core allows for the fiber to be more flexible and resistant to bending, making it easier to install and maintain.

4. Can light travel through bends in Hollow Optical Fiber?

Yes, light can travel through bends in Hollow Optical Fiber. The inner walls of the fiber are coated with a highly reflective material, which allows the light to reflect off the walls even when the fiber is bent. This makes Hollow Optical Fiber an ideal choice for applications where the fiber needs to be bent or curved.

5. What are some common uses for Hollow Optical Fiber?

Hollow Optical Fiber is commonly used in telecommunications, medical imaging, and sensing applications. Its high bandwidth and low signal loss make it an ideal choice for transmitting large amounts of data over long distances. In medical imaging, the flexibility of Hollow Optical Fiber allows for minimally invasive procedures to be performed, such as endoscopies. It is also used in sensing applications, such as detecting changes in temperature or pressure, due to its ability to transmit light through bends and curves.