Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can the radiation of gases be detected?

1. Feb 22, 2015 #1
    I'm curious about that do gases emit infrared radiation the same way as solid bodies do? If yes, how can it be detected like an infrared camera does?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Yes. How to detect it and distinguish it from other sources? Tough to do since emissivities are quite low at normal T and P, or density.

4. Feb 22, 2015 #3
    Thank you very much. And is there another way to distinguish warmer parts of a gas?

5. Feb 22, 2015 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You've said IR already, so I presume you're interested in sensing temperature remotely, rather than measuring it directly with conventional temperature sensors. How much control do you have over your sample space? Pressure?

6. Feb 22, 2015 #5

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Temperature differences can be detected via the density-dependent (and therefore temperature-dependent) refractive index. Schlieren photography does that, for example.

It would help to know more about the application you are looking for.

7. Feb 22, 2015 #6
    I would like to locate thermals (relatively warm, rising air) in my vicinity.

8. Feb 22, 2015 #7

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Look for hawks, eagles, pelicans. Refractive index: If you can find a landmark (or set of landmarks), and have some fixed pairs of points to sight over for directions of the landmarks, you can see them move up or down, left or right from day to day, or even hour to hour.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook