How can the recursive formula for the integral of sin^n(x)*e^-x be found?

  • Thread starter Thread starter gop
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Integral
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
gop
Messages
55
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Find a recursive formula for

[tex]I_{n}:=\int_{0}^{\infty}\sin^{n}(x)\cdot e^{-x}\ dx[/tex]

Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I wrote [tex]I_{n+1}[/tex] and tried to integrate by parts and with substitution, however, I wasn't able to get a the original term so that I could write it recursively.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to do integration by parts twice and then remember that to pick the trig terms as 'u' when integrating by parts the second time
 
I did that and got something that is partially recursive

[tex]I_{n}=n^{2}\cdot\int_{0}^{\infty}\sin^{n-2}(x)\cdot\cos^{2}(x)\cdot e^{-x}\ dx-n\cdot I_{n-2}[/tex]

However, I don't know how to eliminate the cos^2 at all. Moreover, one should prove with the recursive function that when n->infinity I_n->0. But with this result I don't really know how to tackle this problem either. Somehow I'm totally stuck with this one.

thx