How can velocity be expressed as a function of time in polar coordinates?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
23 replies · 3K views
Clever_name
Messages
125
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Here is a picture of the situation http://i48.tinypic.com/vnmi5t.jpg

Homework Equations



polar coordinate system

The Attempt at a Solution



ok so first I'm attempting to find velocity as a function of time,
first I know V=(dR/dt)er +(R)(d∅/dt)e∅ - this is a vector

so, R = 20+15cos(∅) and d∅/dt = ∏ and dR/dt = -15sin(∅)

now this is wher ei get stuck.

so I'm trying to get velocity as a function of time,
the only thing i can think of to get there is my finding the magnitude of the vector, so
I get, ((-15sin(∅))^(2)+(20∏ +125cos(∅))^(2))^(1/2)

simplifying i get 1 + (8/3)∏cos(∅) + (16/9)∏^(2) = V(∅)
but i want v as a function of time not theta, and i have no idea to go about getting there. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If ## R = 20 + 15 \cos \theta ## and ## \theta = \pi t ##, then what is ## \frac {dR} {dt} ##?
 
oh i see, so 1+(8/3)*pi*cos(pi*t)+(16/9)*pi^(2) = V(t) ?
 
how did you know theta was pi*t though? My intuition with regard to that statement is lacking.
 
So what is the entire velocity vector as a function of time?
 
I do not see any vectors in post #4. And I don't really understand what that thing in it really is.
 
ok so the velocity vector = -15*pi*sin(pi*t)Er + ((20+15cos(pi*t))*pi)Eo
 
I'll give it a go, thank you for the push in the right direction.
 
Do you understand why ## \theta = \pi t ##? Note the problem specified a constant angular velocity.
 
Ah i see! the the integral of d(theta) with respect to time is pi*t
 
when calculating the magnitude of the velocity and acceleration vectors at t=0.7s do i need to change the equation pi*t into degrees or does it work just as it is?
 
cos(a) equals a different value depending on a being measured in rads or degrees?
 
This is not a correct statement. When you compute a trigonometric function, you - or, rather, the calculator - must know what units are used for the angle measure. Then the result is independent of that.
 
so just to makesure i understand you the velcoity at time t=0.7s then would be,

(((-15*pi*sin(pi*0.7))^(2)+(20+15cos(pi*0.7)*pi)^(2))^(1/2) which equals 109.92 m/s?
 
I get a different result.
$$
\sqrt {(15 \pi \sin \pi t)^2 + (20 + 15 \cos \pi t)^2 \pi^2}

= 5\pi \sqrt { (3 \sin \pi t)^2 + 4^2 + 24 \cos \pi t + (3 \cos \pi t)^2}

\\

= 5\pi \sqrt { 3^2 + 4^2 + 24 \cos \pi t } = 5 \pi \sqrt { 25 + 24 \cos \pi t }
$$
 
when putting in all the values in you're equation i get the same result as when using my equation which is 109.93 m/s :S
 
no it's set to degrees, should it be set to radians?
 
that it should be set to radians lol, my bad its late here.