Transverse acceleration in polar coordinates

In summary, the transverse acceleration of a particle moving along a curve described by ##p(t) = Re^{\omega t}## and ##\varphi(t) = \omega t## is ##2\omega^2Re^{\omega t}\vec{e_\varphi}##.
marksyncm

Homework Statement

[/B]
A particle is moving along a curve described by ##p(t) = Re^{\omega t}## and ##\varphi (t) = \omega t##. What is the particles transverse acceleration?

Homework Equations

[/B]
None

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
The position vector is ##Re^{\omega t} \vec{e_p}##. Differentiating once to get the velocity:

$$\vec{v} = \frac{d\vec{p}}{dt} = \omega Re^{\omega t}\vec{e_p} + R\omega e^{\omega t}\vec{e_\varphi}$$

And again to get the acceleration:

$$\vec{a} = \frac{d\vec{v}}{dt} = \omega^2 Re^{\omega t}\vec{e_p} + \omega^2 Re^{\omega t}\vec{e_\varphi} + \omega^2 Re^{\omega t}\vec{e_\varphi} - \omega^2 Re^{\omega t}\vec{e_p} = 2\omega^2Re^{\omega t}\vec{e_\varphi}$$

This means that the transverse acceleration is ##2\omega^2Re^{\omega t}##. This answer is in line with the solution provided in my textbook, but I have a question: why did I never need to use the fact that ##\varphi (t) = \omega t##? I feel like my understanding is incomplete here and I'm not sure why.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind; it was a silly question :) (It was necessary to differentiate the unit vector ##\vec{e_p}##.)

Last edited:
Actually, I have another related problem that's similar enough I thought I'd add it here rather than start a new thread - hope that's OK:

Homework Statement

A particle's movement along a curve is described in polar coordinates by ##r(t) = bt## and ##\varphi (t) = \frac{c}{t}## (##b## and ##c## are constants). Find the velocity and acceleration of the particle as functions of time.

Homework Equations

[/B]
None

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
##\varphi(t) = \frac{c}{t} \rightarrow t = \frac{c}{\varphi}##. Substituting, we get that ##r(\varphi) = \frac{bc}{\varphi}##. To get the velocity as a function of time, we differentiate and get:

1) ##v = \frac{-bc}{\varphi^2} \frac{d\varphi}{dt}##
2) ##\frac{d\varphi}{dt} = \frac{-c}{t^2}##
3) ##v = \frac{-bc}{\varphi^2} \frac{-c}{t^2} = \frac{bc^2}{\varphi^2 t^2} = \frac{bc^2}{\frac{c^2}{t^2} t^2} = b##

This doesn't sound right. The velocity of the particle is just ##b## (and, therefore, the acceleration is ##0##)?

Just a quick thread bump, hoping someone can still help. Thank you.

What is transverse acceleration in polar coordinates?

Transverse acceleration in polar coordinates is the acceleration of an object perpendicular to its radial direction, which is defined by the polar coordinates (r, θ). It is also known as the centripetal acceleration.

How is transverse acceleration calculated in polar coordinates?

Transverse acceleration in polar coordinates can be calculated using the formula at = r(θ̇)2, where r is the distance from the origin and θ̇ is the angular velocity of the object.

What is the difference between transverse acceleration and tangential acceleration in polar coordinates?

Transverse acceleration is the acceleration of an object perpendicular to its radial direction, while tangential acceleration is the acceleration of an object along its tangential direction. In polar coordinates, transverse acceleration is determined by the radial distance, while tangential acceleration is determined by the angular velocity.

How does transverse acceleration affect circular motion in polar coordinates?

Transverse acceleration is responsible for keeping an object moving in a circular path, as it is the acceleration towards the center of the circle. Without transverse acceleration, the object would move in a straight line tangent to the circle.

Can transverse acceleration be negative in polar coordinates?

Yes, transverse acceleration can be negative in polar coordinates if the object is slowing down and moving towards the center of the circle. This is known as centripetal deceleration.