Polar Coordinates [Finding the velocity]

In summary: You will get a relation between ##v^2## and the given data, which you can solve for v. Note that the question was to determine the speed of the projectile at that instant. You had to use the given data, not to calculate the components of the position vector of the projectile.In summary, the problem involves finding the speed of a projectile at a given instant, with known radar readings of θ = 30degrees, R = 2000m, dR/dt = 200 m/s, and d^2R/dt^2 = 20 m/s^2. Using the equations Vr = dR/dt and Vθ= R(dθ/dt), we can derive an equation
MrMechanic

Homework Statement

The projectile A is being tracked by the radar at O. At a given instant,
the radar readings are θ = 30degrees, R = 2000m, dR/dt = 200 m/s, and d^2R/dt^2 = 20 m/s^2.
Determine the speed of the projectile at that instant.
THE ANSWER AT THE BACK IS 299.7m/s
[PLEASE SEE ATTACHMENT FOR PROBLEM & FIGURE]

Homework Equations

I've used the Vr = dR/dt & Vθ= R(dθ/dt)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've worked out an equation which is
cos30=x/2000 --> x = 1732.05
dR/dt = 1732.05 (dθ/dt)(secθtanθ)
200 = 1732.05 (dθ/dt)(sec30tan30)
dθ/dt = 0.1732 deg/sec?
And using V^2 = Vr + Vθ I didn't get 299.7m/s So I'am wrong.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    10.8 KB · Views: 895
Physics news on Phys.org
MrMechanic said:

Homework Statement

The projectile A is being tracked by the radar at O. At a given instant,
the radar readings are θ = 30degrees, R = 2000m, dR/dt = 200 m/s, and d^2R/dt^2 = 20 m/s^2.
Determine the speed of the projectile at that instant.
THE ANSWER AT THE BACK IS 299.7m/s
[PLEASE SEE ATTACHMENT FOR PROBLEM & FIGURE]

Homework Equations

I've used the Vr = dR/dt & Vθ= R(dθ/dt)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've worked out an equation which is
200 = 1732.05 (dθ/dt)(sec30tan30)
dθ/dt = 0.1732 deg/sec?
And using V^2 = Vr + Vθ I didn't get 299.7m/s So I'am wrong.

Could you show please, your work in detail?
And what do you mean on V^2 = Vr + Vθ? The square of a vector is not the sum of its components.

ehild

The problem is very interesting, I want to keep it alive.

R(t) is the time-dependent distance of the projectile from the origin. With the Cartesian coordinates of the projectile, ##R^2=x^2+y^2##. Differentiate the equation twice.

ehild

Differentiating the equation ##R^2=x^2+y^2## results ##R\dot R=x\dot x+y\dot y##. The second derivative is ##{\dot R }^2 +R\ddot R={\dot x}^2+{\dot y}^2+ x\ddot x +y\ddot y##.
##R##, ##\dot R ## and ##\ddot R ## are given. It is a projectile, the horizontal acceleration is zero, the vertical one is -g. And ##{\dot x}^2+{\dot y}^2=v^2##, the square of the speed.

ehild

what are the values of x and its derivatives... same goes for y.. I got confused. But thanks sir.

The x,y coordinates of the projectile can be expressed with the polar coordinates R and θ, how? You gave already the x coordinate as x=Rcos(30°), what is y?
The motion of a projectile is the resultant of a horizontal motion and with a vertical one. The only force is the gravity of Earth. What are the horizontal and vertical accelerations?

ehild

Follow the advice from ehild (somehow I had the impression ehild is a she).
You get the solution handed to you on a silver platter: in the expression for the second derivative, you know everything except v:
you don't need x, because it is multiplied with its second derivative, which is zero
you don't need ##\dot x## or ##\dot y##: the sum of squares is v square and v is what you are after!
all you need is to calculate y, which is almost trivial!Commenting on the equations in your solution:
OK
Looks like ##R \tan\theta \; \dot\theta## and I don't follow that. So from there on, you're lost as far as I can see.

@ehild: sorry to have jumped in; thought MrM was awake and you were away; it's the other way around now.
Nice exercise indeed.

How to find the acceleration?

@Awreal
MrMechanic said:
what are the values of x and its derivatives... same goes for y.. I got confused. But thanks sir.
You should know how the Cartesian coordinates and the polar ones are related. x=Rcos(θ), y=Rsin(θ).
You also know that the horizontal component of acceleration of the projectile is zero, ##\ddot x =0 ##, the vertical component is ##\ddot y = - g##. Use these values, together with the given data in the expression of the second derivative of R2, ##{\dot R }^2 +R\ddot R={\dot x}^2+{\dot y}^2+ x\ddot x +y\ddot y##.

What are polar coordinates and how are they used in finding velocity?

Polar coordinates are a way of representing points in a two-dimensional space using a distance from the origin and an angle. They are commonly used in physics to describe the position and movement of objects, including calculating velocity.

How do you convert Cartesian coordinates to polar coordinates?

To convert from Cartesian coordinates (x, y) to polar coordinates (r, θ), you can use the following formulas: r = √(x² + y²) θ = tan⁻¹(y/x) where r represents the distance from the origin and θ represents the angle from the positive x-axis.

What is the relationship between polar coordinates and velocity?

In polar coordinates, the velocity of an object is represented by the magnitude and direction of the vector (ṙ, θ̇). The magnitude, ṙ, represents the speed of the object, while the direction, θ̇, represents the direction of the object's movement.

How do you calculate the velocity in polar coordinates?

To calculate the velocity in polar coordinates, you can use the following formula: v = ṙer + (rθ̇)eθ where v represents the velocity vector, ṙ represents the speed, and θ̇ represents the angular velocity.

Can polar coordinates be used to calculate acceleration?

Yes, polar coordinates can be used to calculate acceleration. Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity, and in polar coordinates, it is represented by the acceleration vector (r̈, θ̈). You can calculate acceleration using the formula: a = r̈er + (2ṙθ̇ + rθ̈)eθ where a represents the acceleration vector, r̈ represents the radial acceleration, and θ̈ represents the tangential acceleration.