How Can We Generate Trig Tables with the 'Many Worlds' Approach?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter phibonacci
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Trig
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
phibonacci
What is the required knowledge to generate a trig table?
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
A Taylor expansion of the function you want to look at will let you calculate it to arbitrary precision by taking enough terms. Then you just need to be able to add and multiply (and either a computer, or a lot of time!).
 
You can also calculate it by repeated application of the angle addition formulas, and a known triangle.
 
Last edited:
I prefer the nondetermanistic "many worlds" approach:
1. I write down random digits, hoping they're correct.
2. If they're wrong, the universe is destroyed.
We continue to exist only in those universes where I write the correct results.

This approach is especially effective for constants like Chaitlin's [tex]\Omega[/tex] where there's no easy way to calculate it. Of course, I haven't actually managed to implement step 2 yet. Research continues (see the IEDAB's methods for destroying the Earth for the foremost research).