How can we parametrize the triangle?

• MHB
  • Thread starter mathmari
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Triangle
In summary, the conversation discussed how to calculate a double integral on a triangle with given vertices. The method involves defining a surface and using a double integral formula. The participants also discussed different ways to parametrize the triangle and determine the equation of the plane that the triangle lies on. Finally, they explored how to represent all linear combinations of the triangle's points.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

I want to calculate $\iint_{\Sigma}xdA$ on the triangle with vertices $(1,0,0)$, $(0,1,0)$ and $(0,0,1)$.

We have to define the surface $\Sigma(u,v) = (x(u,v), y(u,v), z(u,v))$ then we get $$\iint_{\Sigma}fdA=\iint_Df(\Sigma(u,v))\|\frac{\partial{\Sigma}}{\partial{u}}(u,v)\times \frac{\partial{\Sigma}}{\partial{v}}(u,v)\|dudv$$

But how can we define in this case the function $\Sigma$, how can we parametrize the triangle? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
mathmari said:
Hey! :eek:

I want to calculate $\iint_{\Sigma}xdA$ on the triangle with vertices $(1,0,0)$, $(0,1,0)$ and $(0,0,1)$.

We have to define the surface $\Sigma(u,v) = (x(u,v), y(u,v), z(u,v))$ then we get $$\iint_{\Sigma}fdA=\iint_Df(\Sigma(u,v))\|\frac{\partial{\Sigma}}{\partial{u}}(u,v)\times \frac{\partial{\Sigma}}{\partial{v}}(u,v)\|dudv$$

But how can we define in this case the function $\Sigma$, how can we parametrize the triangle? (Wondering)

Hi mathmari! (Smile)

How about $x(u,v)=u, y(u,v)=v, z(u,v)=1-u-v$? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
How about $x(u,v)=u, y(u,v)=v, z(u,v)=1-u-v$? (Wondering)

How do we get that $z$ ? (Wondering)

The edges of the triangle are the following:
$(1,0,0)+t[(0,1,0)-(1,0,0)]=(1,0,0)+t(-1,1,0)=(1-t, t, 0)$
$(0,1,0)+t[(0,0,1)-(0,1,0)]=(0,1,0)+t(0,-1,1)=(0, 1-t, t)$
$(0,0,1)+t[(1,0,0)-(0,0,1)]=(0,0,1)+t(1,0,-1)=(t, 0, 1-t)$
right? Do we use these equations to get $z(u,v)=1-u-v$ ? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
How do we get that $z$ ? (Wondering)

The edges of the triangle are the following:
$(1,0,0)+t[(0,1,0)-(1,0,0)]=(1,0,0)+t(-1,1,0)=(1-t, t, 0)$
$(0,1,0)+t[(0,0,1)-(0,1,0)]=(0,1,0)+t(0,-1,1)=(0, 1-t, t)$
$(0,0,1)+t[(1,0,0)-(0,0,1)]=(0,0,1)+t(1,0,-1)=(t, 0, 1-t)$
right? Do we use these equations to get $z(u,v)=1-u-v$ ?

The triangle is in a plane.
Therefore z must be a linear combination of x and y (assuming both x and y have multiple values in the plane, which they do). Something like $z=a+bx+cy$.
So the only question is: which linear equation?
Checking/substituting each of the vertices, starting with x=y=0, shows that it must be z=1-x-y. (Thinking)

Alternatively, we can indeed start with the parametrized edges that you've listed.
We can pick one and replace $t$ by $u$, pick another one and replace $t$ by $v$ or $1-v$.
Then, when we add them together, we get all linear combinations that will cover the plane of the triangle.
If we start with the 3rd, we get $x=u$, and if we then pick the second and substitute $t=1-v$, we get $y=v$ and leave $x$ unchanged, then adding them together gives us the same $z$ I found previously. (Thinking)Btw, to integrate, we still need to set up a double integral with appropriate boundaries. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
The triangle is in a plane.
Therefore z must be a linear combination of x and y (assuming both x and y have multiple values in the plane, which they do). Something like $z=a+bx+cy$.
So the only question is: which linear equation?
Checking/substituting each of the vertices, starting with x=y=0, shows that it must be z=1-x-y. (Thinking)

The triangle is in a plane, because there is a plne that passes through the three vertices?
The equation of the plane in which the triangle is is $ax+by+cz=d$ where $(a,b,c)$ is the normal vector to the plane.
We can get two vectors in the plane by subtracting pairs of points in the plane: $(1,0,0)-(0,1,0)=(1,-1,0)$ and $(0,1,0)-(0,0,1)=(0,1,-1)$.
The cross product of these two vectors will be orthogonal to both, and hence it will be a normal vector to the plane:
$(1,-1,0)\times (0,1,-1)=(1,1,1)$.
So, for $a=b=c=1$ we get the equation of the plane is $x+y+z=d$.
Since $(1,0,0)$ is a point on the plane we get $1+0+0=d \Rightarrow d=1$.
Therefore, the equation of the plane is $x+y+z=1$. If we solve for $z$ we get $z=1-x-y$.

Is everything correct? (Wondering)
I like Serena said:
Alternatively, we can indeed start with the parametrized edges that you've listed.
We can pick one and replace $t$ by $u$, pick another one and replace $t$ by $v$ or $1-v$.
Then, when we add them together, we get all linear combinations that will cover the plane of the triangle.
If we start with the 3rd, we get $x=u$, and if we then pick the second and substitute $t=1-v$, we get $y=v$ and leave $x$ unchanged, then adding them together gives us the same $z$ I found previously. (Thinking)

We have that
$(1,0,0)+u[(0,1,0)-(1,0,0)]=(1,0,0)+u(-1,1,0)=(1-u, u, 0)$
$(0,1,0)+v[(0,0,1)-(0,1,0)]=(0,1,0)+v(0,-1,1)=(0, 1-v, v)$
$(0,0,1)+w[(1,0,0)-(0,0,1)]=(0,0,1)+w(1,0,-1)=(w, 0, 1-w)$

So, the points on the triangle are of form $(1-u, u, 0)$, $(0, 1-v, v)$, $(w, 0, 1-w)$ with $u,v,w\in [0,1]$, right?

So, do we have to add these three points to get all linear combinations that will cover the plane of the triangle? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
The triangle is in a plane, because there is a plane that passes through the three vertices?

A triangle in euclidean space is by definition in a plane. (Nerd)
See wiki:
In Euclidean geometry any three points, when non-collinear, determine a unique triangle and simultaneously, a unique plane (i.e. a two-dimensional Euclidean space). In other words, there is only one plane that contains that triangle, and every triangle is contained in some plane.

mathmari said:
The equation of the plane in which the triangle is is $ax+by+cz=d$ where $(a,b,c)$ is the normal vector to the plane.
We can get two vectors in the plane by subtracting pairs of points in the plane: $(1,0,0)-(0,1,0)=(1,-1,0)$ and $(0,1,0)-(0,0,1)=(0,1,-1)$.
The cross product of these two vectors will be orthogonal to both, and hence it will be a normal vector to the plane:
$(1,-1,0)\times (0,1,-1)=(1,1,1)$.
So, for $a=b=c=1$ we get the equation of the plane is $x+y+z=d$.
Since $(1,0,0)$ is a point on the plane we get $1+0+0=d \Rightarrow d=1$.
Therefore, the equation of the plane is $x+y+z=1$. If we solve for $z$ we get $z=1-x-y$.

Yep. (Nod)

mathmari said:
We have that
$(1,0,0)+u[(0,1,0)-(1,0,0)]=(1,0,0)+u(-1,1,0)=(1-u, u, 0)$
$(0,1,0)+v[(0,0,1)-(0,1,0)]=(0,1,0)+v(0,-1,1)=(0, 1-v, v)$
$(0,0,1)+w[(1,0,0)-(0,0,1)]=(0,0,1)+w(1,0,-1)=(w, 0, 1-w)$

So, the points on the triangle are of form $(1-u, u, 0)$, $(0, 1-v, v)$, $(w, 0, 1-w)$ with $u,v,w\in [0,1]$, right?

So, do we have to add these three points to get all linear combinations that will cover the plane of the triangle? (Wondering)

We can.
Note that one of them is redundant, being a linear combination of the other two. (Thinking)

I like Serena said:
A triangle in euclidean space is by definition in a plane. (Nerd)
See wiki:

I see! (Nerd)
I like Serena said:
Yep. (Nod)

I like Serena said:
Btw, to integrate, we still need to set up a double integral with appropriate boundaries. (Thinking)

So, we have the surface $\Sigma (x,y)=(x, y, 1-x-y)$. From the vertices of the triangle we see that $x$ and $y$ go from $0$ to $1$. So, we have that $\Sigma: D\rightarrow \mathbb{R}^3$, where $D=[0,1]\times [0,1]$. Is this correct? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
So, we have the surface $\Sigma (x,y)=(x, y, 1-x-y)$. From the vertices of the triangle we see that $x$ and $y$ go from $0$ to $1$. So, we have that $\Sigma: D\rightarrow \mathbb{R}^3$, where $D=[0,1]\times [0,1]$. Is this correct? (Wondering)

Nope.
For a given $x$ coordinate between $0$ and $1$, the $y$ coordinate is limited to $[0, 1-x]$. (Sweating)

I like Serena said:
Nope.
For a given $x$ coordinate between $0$ and $1$, the $y$ coordinate is limited to $[0, 1-x]$. (Sweating)

From the vertices we see that $0\leq x\leq 1$. It also holds that $0\leq z\leq 1\Rightarrow 0\leq 1-x-y\leq 1 \Rightarrow -1+x\leq -y\leq x\Rightarrow -x\leq y\leq 1-x$. Since from the vertices $y$ is greater that $0$ we get $0\leq y\leq 1-x$.

Do we get the boundaries in that way? Or do we get them otherwise? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
From the vertices we see that $0\leq x\leq 1$. It also holds that $0\leq z\leq 1\Rightarrow 0\leq 1-x-y\leq 1 \Rightarrow -1+x\leq -y\leq x\Rightarrow -x\leq y\leq 1-x$. Since from the vertices $y$ is greater that $0$ we get $0\leq y\leq 1-x$.

Do we get the boundaries in that way? Or do we get them otherwise? (Wondering)

Yes. We can get them that way. (Nod)

I like Serena said:
Yes. We can get them that way. (Nod)

So we have to begin with $x$ and $z$ that they are between $0$ and $1$ because $z$ contains also $y$ and if we would begin with $x$ and $y$ that they are between $0$ and $1$ we would get also the result $z=1-1-1=-1$ ? (Wondering)
To calculate the integral, I have done the following:

We have the surface $\Sigma (x,y) = (x,y, 1-x-y)$. Then we have that $\Sigma_x=(1,0,-1)$ and $\Sigma_y=(0,1,-1)$. Then we get that $\Sigma_x\times\Sigma_y=(1,1,1)$ and so $\|\Sigma_x\times\Sigma_y\|=\sqrt{1^2+1^2+1^2}=\sqrt{3}$.

Then we get the following:
$$\iint_{\Sigma}xdA=\iint_Dx\cdot \sqrt{3}dxdy=\sqrt{3}\int_0^1\int_0^{1-x}xdydx=\sqrt{3}\int_0^1 x\cdot (1-x)=\sqrt{3}\int_0^1(x-x^2)dx=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{6}$$

The given result is $\frac{\sqrt{2}}{6}$. What have I done wrong? (Wondering)

mathmari said:
So we have to begin with $x$ and $z$ that they are between $0$ and $1$ because $z$ contains also $y$ and if we would begin with $x$ and $y$ that they are between $0$ and $1$ we would get also the result $z=1-1-1=-1$ ? (Wondering)

I guess so...
... as long as we conclude that x=y=1 has no corresponding point in the triangle right? (Thinking)

mathmari said:
To calculate the integral, I have done the following:

We have the surface $\Sigma (x,y) = (x,y, 1-x-y)$. Then we have that $\Sigma_x=(1,0,-1)$ and $\Sigma_y=(0,1,-1)$. Then we get that $\Sigma_x\times\Sigma_y=(1,1,1)$ and so $\|\Sigma_x\times\Sigma_y\|=\sqrt{1^2+1^2+1^2}=\sqrt{3}$.

Then we get the following:
$$\iint_{\Sigma}xdA=\iint_Dx\cdot \sqrt{3}dxdy=\sqrt{3}\int_0^1\int_0^{1-x}xdydx=\sqrt{3}\int_0^1 x\cdot (1-x)=\sqrt{3}\int_0^1(x-x^2)dx=\frac{\sqrt{3}}{6}$$

The given result is $\frac{\sqrt{2}}{6}$. What have I done wrong? (Wondering)

Your calculation looks correct to me.
Perhaps the given result is wrong? (Wondering)

I like Serena said:
Your calculation looks correct to me.
Perhaps the given result is wrong? (Wondering)

Ah ok! Thank you very much! (Mmm)

I am thinking about it again (Thinking)

A plane is a surface with zero volume, right? Does it then hold also that a triangle is a surface with zero volume?

I haven't really understood why every triangle is contained in some plane. Could you explain it further to me?

To parametrize the triangle, besides using the equation of the plane and the way I started using the parametric equations of the edges, is there also an other way?

We don't take the boundaries $0\leq x\leq 1$ and $0\leq y \leq 1$ because then the space $D$ would be a square and not a triangle, right?

(Wondering)

mathmari said:
A plane is a surface with zero volume, right? Does it then hold also that a triangle is a surface with zero volume?

Yes.

mathmari said:
I haven't really understood why every triangle is contained in some plane. Could you explain it further to me?

3 points in space that are not co-linear define a plane do they not?
They also define a triangle that is defined to be inside that plane. (Thinking)

mathmari said:
To parametrize the triangle, besides using the equation of the plane and the way I started using the parametric equations of the edges, is there also an other way?

We can simplify the approach with the plane equation.
The plane equation is $ax+by+cz=d$.
Substitute each of the vertices to find $a=b=c=d$.
Since (a,b,c) cannot be the null vector we can divide by $a$ to find the equation $x+y+z=1$.
It follows that $z=1-x-y$ giving us the parametrization (x,y,1-x-y). (Thinking)

mathmari said:
We don't take the boundaries $0\leq x\leq 1$ and $0\leq y \leq 1$ because then the space $D$ would be a square and not a triangle, right?

Yep. (Nod)

I like Serena said:
3 points in space that are not co-linear define a plane do they not?
They also define a triangle that is defined to be inside that plane. (Thinking)

From 3 points in space we get two vectors in space. The cross product of these vectos is normal to both of them. So we get the plane $ax+by+cz=d$, where $(a,b,c)$ is the result of the cross product and we get $d$ by substituting a point.

Since the plane is infnite, we know that the triangle is inside the plane.
So, the parametrization of the triangle has to satisfy the equation of the plane.

mathmari said:
From 3 points in space we get two vectors in space. The cross product of these vectos is normal to both of them. So we get the plane $ax+by+cz=d$, where $(a,b,c)$ is the result of the cross product and we get $d$ by substituting a point.

Yep.
Moreover, if (a,b,c) has unit length, then d is the distance of the plane to the origin. (Nerd)

mathmari said:
Since the plane is infnite, we know that the triangle is inside the plane.

Not exactly sure what that means. It sounds okay'ish, but I would suggest to stick to the definition of triangle on wiki. (Nerd)

mathmari said:
So, the parametrization of the triangle has to satisfy the equation of the plane.

Yep. (Nod)

1. How do we define the parameters of a triangle?

The parameters of a triangle are typically defined as the length of its sides and the measure of its interior angles.

2. What is the purpose of parametrizing a triangle?

Parametrizing a triangle allows us to represent its properties and characteristics in a numerical or algebraic form, making it easier to analyze and manipulate in mathematical calculations.

3. How can we determine the parameters of a triangle given its coordinates?

We can use the distance formula and trigonometric functions to calculate the length of the sides and angles of a triangle, given the coordinates of its vertices.

4. Are there different ways to parametrize a triangle?

Yes, there are different methods for parametrizing a triangle, such as using the lengths of its sides, the coordinates of its vertices, or the measures of its angles.

5. What are the benefits of parametrizing a triangle in a specific way?

The benefits of parametrizing a triangle in a specific way depend on the application. For example, parametrizing a triangle using its vertices can help with geometric proofs and constructions, while parametrizing with side lengths can be useful in calculations involving area and perimeter.