Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can you find height in bernouli equation?

1. Mar 21, 2012 #1
    I am having a hard time figuring out the step in the equation. For an example, I was given a problem that water flows from the bottom at a velocity of 5.0m/s up to a bucket at (unknown) height. The hose radius is the same so it is not given.

Known:
    V_1=5.0m/s
    Density p= 1000kg/m^3
    Gravity= 9.80m/s^2
    Radius of hose= any number but equal in all
    y_1=0

Unknown:
    V_2
    y_2

So I am trying to find the maximum height but...the only known informations were given. What is the step in finding v_2 and y_2?

Please help! Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2012 #2

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Is this a trick question? If the hose radius never changes, then the velocity of the water never changes (ingoring tiny changes in density versus pressure, mass flow never changes, volume flow increases as density decreases). As long as a pump can supply sufficient pressure, there's no limit to height, unless the required pressure is so great (98,692 atm, 100,000 bar, 10 giga-pascals) that it turns water into ice. The pressure of the water will decrease with height, by ρ g h. Density (ρ) will decrease slightly as pressure decreases.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook