How Can You Prove the Laplace Transform of t^n?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 18K views
seang
Messages
184
Reaction score
0
Our professor asked us to derive an expression for the laplace transfrom of t^n. I did a few examples in MatLab and gathered that the Laplace Transform of t^n = n!/s^(n+1). I'm pretty sure this is correct, but I don't think my professor will be happy with it. I don't really know how I should go about proving it in a more sturdy way. I know I can integrate by parts for specific examples, but I'm not versed in integrating by parts with n's.

Any Suggestions?
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
I don't see how you can get away without doing integration by parts. What is the definition of the Laplace transform?

[tex] L \{f(t) \} = \int_{0}^{\infty} f(t) e^{-st} dt[/tex]
BTW, you know that the n's are constants, right?
 
Last edited:
Let's say if you have

[tex]x(t) \iff X(s)[/tex]

and you wish to find the Laplace transform of

[tex]t x(t)[/tex]

Differentiate with respect to s of the Laplace transform integral. That is

[tex]\frac {d}{ds} \int_{0^-}^\infty t x(t) e^{-st} dt[/tex]

You may move the derivative inside the integral and differentiate the exponential of the integrand.

Doing so you will see that [tex]t x(t) \iff - \frac {dX(s)}{s}[/tex]

Try generalizing this for [itex]t^n[/itex]. Note that for your specific problem

[tex]x(t) = t[/tex]