How Can You Simplify the Derivative of Ln(x + 1/x)?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jorgen
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Differentiation
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 11K views
jorgen
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Hi all,

I have to differentiate

[tex]Ln(x+\frac{1}{x})[/tex]

where I first differentiate Ln and than multiply by the differentiation of the inner function

[tex]1/(x+\frac{1}{x})*(1-\frac{1}{x^2}[/tex]

which I simplify to

[tex]\frac{x}{x^2+1}*(1-\frac{1}{x^2})[/tex]

[tex]\frac{x}{x^2+1}-\frac{1}{x*(x^2+1)}[/tex]

the problem is I cannot rewrite it to this

[tex]\frac{2*x}{x^2+1}-\frac{1}{x}[/tex]

how to rewrite it - any help or advise appreciated. Thanks in advance

Best
Jorgen
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Start at the final expression, and write it as a fraction with one denominator: x(x^2+1)
 
thanks,

so I put into one fraction

[tex]\frac{x^2-1}{x*(x^2+1)}[/tex]

but I don't know how to start rearranging this... Any new hints

Best

J
 
so I rewrite the fraction using this hint

[tex]\frac{(x^2+1)-2}{x*(x^2+1)}[/tex]

I split the fraction into

[tex]\frac{1}{x}-\frac{2}{x*(x^2+1)}[/tex]

but I can still not see how to rearrange it

Thanks in advance

Best
J
 
Use partial fractions to decompose your second term; in other words, find the constants [itex]A[/itex],[itex]B[/itex], and [itex]C[/itex] that satisfy:

[tex]\frac{2}{x*(x^2+1)}=\frac{A}{x}+\frac{Bx+C}{x^2+1}[/tex]
 
In what form do you want it? Whether it is condensed into one fraction or written as a difference doesn't matter if both expressions are equal.