How Can You Tell Which Gas Cylinder is Full in Space?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
lab-rat
Messages
44
Reaction score
0
What are 5 ways to determine which of 2 identical cylinders is empty and which is full of gas if they are in space?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
lab-rat said:
What are 5 ways to determine which of 2 identical cylinders is empty and which is full of gas if they are in space?

What do you think?

We can't give you answers. You know this because you agreed to the rules when you signed up.

So...
 
I don't want answers, just to be pointed in the right direction...

I think I found 2 ways.

To apply a force to each cylinder to measure the velocity and find the acceleration. Divide force by acceleration.

Use a small centrifuge and determine rpm and ''radius''. Using a=v2/r, find acceleration. f/a=m

Any other ideas?
 
I also found:
If there is another object nearby, the time the cylinders take to orbit that object can be used to determine mass. (Kepler's law of planetary motion)

Use a spring to measure a pulling force on each cylinder and use Newton's second law