1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How can you use the tabular method to integrate xcos(x^2)

1. Aug 2, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is not a homework but since asked me I'm posting it here. I know how to intergrate by parts and can do this using formula
    But I'd like to do this using the tabular method

Question
    Integrate xcos(x^2) using tabular method

2. Relevant equations
    The table with derivative on one volume and integral on the other column

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know we can differentiate the one which is harder to intergrate so I integrated the x and differentiated cos(x^2)

So I get -2sin(x^2) for the derivative column and (x^2)/2 on the intergral side
    When I multiply the results as said in tabular method and integrate the last portion, I get

(X^2)/2 * cos(x^2) -2 integrated by sin(x^2) * (x^2)/2

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 2, 2017 #2
    The tabular method is integration by parts. It is just organizing the steps into a table. If you understand the formula than there is no need to make a table.
    The first derivative is ##-2x\text{sin}(x^{2})## not ##-2\text{sin}(x^{2})##. I don't think this is a good method to solve this problem though. This integral is relatively trivial using the u-substitution ##u=x^{2}##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted