Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I How can you visualize the Higgs field, or can you?

1. Jul 12, 2016 #1
    Just when I thought I had finally wrapped my brain around relativity, Quantum theory took off. Then the Higgs Boson was discovered. How does the Higgs field under-pin relativity, namely space-time?

How is the Higgs field distributed? Does it have curvature like space time, or is omnipresent?

Sorry for the simple questions, but I am still stuck on thinking about a bowling ball on a trampoline.
    The best analogy I have found is that the Higgs field is like a bowl of honey, and particles pass through it. Some particles are more affected by the honey, and others are less affected, giving rise to the mass of the particles. This still leaves a lot of questions.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2016 #2

haushofer

Science Advisor

How do you visualize an electronfield, or quarkfield, or photonfield, or whatever other field one has in the standard model?

4. Jul 13, 2016 #3

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

According to Quantum Field Theory (QFT), ALL particles have an associated field (as the haushofer pointed out)

What is so special about the Higgs Field is that it contributes to the energy density of the universe in the absence of particles. This is what is called the "vacuum energy". Even though the universe is empty on particles, it has energy from the Higgs field

5. Jul 15, 2016 #4
    Well, I know how to visualize a magnetic field, and I thought I knew how to visualize space time as a field, or mesh, or scalar shape, but when it comes to the higgs, is the field uniform and omnipresent, or does it have curvature and fluctuations; i.e. gravity waves?

6. Jul 16, 2016 #5

malawi_glenn

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

but a magnetic field is not something you have in the standard model of particle physics. One can not compare classical fields with quantum fields.

what you are asking about is the Higgs-vacuum energy, not the Higgs field itself.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted