Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How charged particle got to do with magnetism

1. May 3, 2010 #1
    hello, I am not too sure of how charged particle got to do with magnetism.

"Magnetism is a force of attraction or replusion that acts at a distance. It is due to a magnetic field, which is caused by moving electrically charged particles or is inherent in magnetic objects such as a magnet." (form http://www.school-for-champions.com/science/magnetism.htm)
    do charge particles means electron and it is their electron sub shell that causes the effect of magnetism? Is that also why current produces a magnetic field? would like some explanation!

THX!!!

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2010 #2
    Re: Magnetism

your question is kind of hard to answer , at least for me because it is so fundamental.
    But a current carrying wire has an EM field because the charge is moving . your asking
    why moving charges creates magnetism , The electron has an electric field and when this E field changes it creates a magnetic field , I don’t know it this will answer your question . So a changing E field can create a magnetic field.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook