How could a DC electric motor be used to power a computer?

In summary: What else do you know about the power requirements of a laptop? What else do you know about the power requirements of a dc motor? How many Watts can the motor provide? What is the efficiency of the generator? What I have so far is low end of power consumption for a lab top is 12 wh of electricity, what I gather from this question is trying to figure out how this dc generator could be applied in order to produce powerPower is just in units of Watts, not Watt*Hours. Energy is power * time, so if you were looking at batteries, you would size their energy storage in W*Hr to see how long they could power the load.So is the
angie19

Homework Statement

A group of students found an old DC electric motor in a box. They were looking for a small generator they could use to power their computer while they were out camping.
Explain how they might do this with the motor they found.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
A motor is also a generator

angie19 said:

Homework Statement

A group of students found an old DC electric motor in a box. They were looking for a small generator they could use to power their computer while they were out camping.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Angie, you need to fill out all 3 sections of the Template. Please post some Relevant Equations (voltage, power, etc.), and show your initial thoughts on how to answer this schoolwork question. Thank you. :smile:

berkeman said:
Angie, you need to fill out all 3 sections of the Template. Please post some Relevant Equations (voltage, power, etc.), and show your initial thoughts on how to answer this schoolwork question. Thank you. :smile:
Im finding this really hard trying to post a question

angie19 said:
Im finding this really hard trying to post a question
How can we help?

berkeman said:
How can we help?
I am trying to ask a question I do not get these templets I have to fill out

So when first posting your question, just try to fill out all 3 sections as best as you can, especially the Attempt at a Solution.

For now, don't worry about going back to try to edit your first post. Instead, just tell us some of your thoughts on how you could answer the question. How would you provide power to the motor? What affects the output voltage of the motor when you spin the shaft? How would you convert that output voltage to something that a computer could use?

How much power does a typical laptop computer require? What is the typical efficiency of a generator (or a motor being used as a generator)? How much input mechanical power would be needed to spin the motor shaft?

angie19 said:
I think this question is designed to make you think about how a dc motor could be used as an electric generator. Would it be an acceptable (and sufficient) answer? Or are you supposed to show the exact circuitry and calculations?

cnh1995 said:
I think this question is designed to make you think about how a dc motor could be used as an electric generator. Would it be an acceptable (and sufficient) answer? Or are you supposed to show the exact circuitry and calculations?
what i have so far is low end of power consumption for a lab top is 12 wh of electricity, what I gather from this question is trying to figure out how this dc generator could be applied in order to produce power

angie19 said:
power consumption for a lab top is 12 wh of electricity,
Power is just in units of Watts, not Watt*Hours. Energy is power * time, so if you were looking at batteries, you would size their energy storage in W*Hr to see how long they could power the load.

So is the laptop you are looking at 12W? That sounds low, but maybe it's possible.

Likes cnh1995

1. How does a DC electric motor power a computer?

A DC electric motor can power a computer by converting electrical energy into mechanical energy, which is then used to turn a shaft. This shaft is connected to a generator, which converts the mechanical energy back into electrical energy. This electrical energy is then used to power the computer.

2. What are the advantages of using a DC electric motor to power a computer?

One advantage of using a DC electric motor is its efficiency. DC motors are able to convert a high percentage of electrical energy into mechanical energy, making them more energy-efficient than other types of motors. Additionally, DC motors can operate at variable speeds, allowing for more precise control in powering the computer.

3. Can a DC electric motor be used as the sole power source for a computer?

Yes, a DC electric motor can be used as the sole power source for a computer. However, in most cases, it would require additional components such as a generator and a battery to regulate the power and keep the computer running smoothly.

4. How does the size and power of the DC electric motor affect its ability to power a computer?

The size and power of the DC electric motor can affect its ability to power a computer in several ways. A larger and more powerful motor can generate more energy, allowing it to run a larger computer or multiple computers. Additionally, a more powerful motor may be able to handle more complex computational tasks, making it better suited for high-performance computing.

5. Are there any limitations to using a DC electric motor to power a computer?

One limitation of using a DC electric motor to power a computer is that it may require additional components, as mentioned earlier, to regulate the power and keep the computer running smoothly. Another limitation is that DC motors may produce some electromagnetic interference (EMI) which can potentially affect other electronic devices in the vicinity. However, with proper shielding and grounding, this interference can be minimized.