What are the criteria for choosing a DC electric motor for a helicopter winch?

In summary, this person needs a DC electric motor that can spin CW and CCW, and can lift 1300 kilograms. They come from a mechanical engineering background, so they know what they're looking for in a motor. However, because the motor needs to fit inside an cylinder of a certain size and height, it is hard to find an online catalog with detailed information. One possible place to look is websites that specialize in the manufacture of DC electric motors. Alternatively, a sales engineer at a manufacturer may be able to help this person find the motor they need.
ENgez
Hello,
I am designing a helicopter winch (basically, a drum to spool and retrieve a cable), and need to select a DC electric motor from some catalog.

This motor needs to fit inside an cylinder of radius 165 mm and height of 200 cm or less. it has to be a Permanent Magnet (PM) engine. and needs to be able to spin CW and CCW.

As the winch drum spins at 60 RPM, preferably i would like a motor which could get me close (although those i found give about 2000 RPM at minimum), making the transmission simpler to design.

I come from a mechanical engineering background, so my knowledge about where to look up these engines is limited and so are my results in finding good catalogs. any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you.

Engineering news on Phys.org
This motor needs to fit inside an cylinder of radius 165 mm and height of 200 cm or less. it has to be a Permanent Magnet (PM) engine. and needs to be able to spin CW and CCW.

that's big, ~13 inch diameter by 6[itex]1/2[/itex] feet long?

you haven't said what kind of power or torque you need. What does it lift?

And why permanent magnet?

http://lancet.mit.edu/motors/index.html

google search on this phrase
"dc motor catalog"
showed a long list of manufactureres
but you're right it's hard to find an online catalog with details.

changing search to this phrase narrowed it down a bit
"dc planetary gearmotor catalog"

these guys looked interesting
http://www.dumoremotors.com/planetary-gear-motors.html

Last edited:
it needs to lift 1300 kilograms. and the diameter of the drum is 330 milimeters. and from what i gathered permanemt magnet is the engine of choice for winches, due to good dynamic properties.

it needs to lift 1300 kilograms. and the diameter of the drum is 330 milimeters.

check if my arithmetic's right here?
that's going to be about 1550 ft-lbs of torque after your reduction gears?
i think you said drum runs at 60 rpm, which at that torque is = ~18 hp?

so you need a 20-25 hp motor about 6 inch diameter... sounds like a job for planetary gears.

really you're in mechanical design territory where i am not qualified to offer advice.
But maybe above will help you describe your need to a manufacturer's sales engineer??

http://www.industrialpumpandmotor.com/motor-drives/links.html

http://www.goodrich.com/Goodrich/Businesses/Sensors-and-Integrated-Systems/Products/Rescue-Hoists-and-Cargo-Winches

http://www.breeze-eastern.com/2010/index.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the help. I will look into it.

1. What factors should I consider when choosing an electric motor?

When choosing an electric motor, it is important to consider the power requirements, speed, torque, efficiency, and compatibility with the power source and load. You should also consider the environment the motor will be operating in and the cost of the motor.

2. How do I determine the power requirements for an electric motor?

The power requirements for an electric motor depend on the load it will be driving. To determine the power requirements, you can use the formula Power (W) = Torque (Nm) x Speed (RPM) / 9.55. Make sure to factor in any additional power requirements for starting or acceleration.

3. What is the difference between AC and DC motors?

AC motors use alternating current and are typically used for larger applications, while DC motors use direct current and are often used for smaller applications. AC motors are generally more efficient and cost-effective, but DC motors offer better speed and torque control.

4. How do I choose the right size motor for my application?

To choose the right size motor, you need to consider the power requirements, speed, and torque needed for your application. You can also consult a motor sizing chart or use online motor sizing calculators to help you determine the appropriate size.

5. What type of maintenance is required for an electric motor?

The type of maintenance required for an electric motor depends on the type of motor and its application. Generally, electric motors require regular cleaning and lubrication to ensure smooth operation. It is also important to regularly check for any wear and tear and make necessary repairs or replacements.