How could I apply electric/electronics to MechE?

In summary: I thought about robotics, sure. Control and Automation might be interesting, also. I heard that Control Engineering can be studied by both electrical and mechanical engineers. Having some kind of background with circuitry could help me with this?
ramzerimar
I really like Mechanical Engineering. I'm now at the second year of my undergrad and I'm now taking some specific courses in engineering - after a whole year of calculus and physics. I think it's the broadest engineering, and I'm an admirer of the aerospace industry and would like to work with aircraft. But electric/electronics is another passion of mine. I do like tinkering with electronics - like Arduino - and do programming. There is some way I could merge both things together, MechE and electronics/electrics? I already know about mechatronics, but I don't want to switch courses.

Physics news on Phys.org
ramzerimar said:
I really like Mechanical Engineering. I'm now at the second year of my undergrad and I'm now taking some specific courses in engineering - after a whole year of calculus and physics. I think it's the broadest engineering, and I'm an admirer of the aerospace industry and would like to work with aircraft. But electric/electronics is another passion of mine. I do like tinkering with electronics - like Arduino - and do programming. There is some way I could merge both things together, MechE and electronics/electrics? I already know about mechatronics, but I don't want to switch courses.
I think that working with robotics and vehicles will be a good cross-over between ME and EE type of topics. Sounds pretty fun! :smile:

Likes ramzerimar
berkeman said:
I think that working with robotics and vehicles will be a good cross-over between ME and EE type of topics. Sounds pretty fun! :smile:
I thought about robotics, sure. Control and Automation might be interesting, also. I heard that Control Engineering can be studied by both electrical and mechanical engineers. Having some kind of background with circuitry could help me with this? As I see it, most mechanical stuff is controlled by electrical/digital systems. I don't know how this work out in industry, but surely the control guy should have expertise in mechanical and electrical stuff to understand correctly what is going on, am I right? This could be interesting.

1. How can electric/electronics be integrated into mechanical engineering?

Electric/electronics can be integrated into mechanical engineering through the use of electronic components and systems in the design, control, and operation of mechanical devices. This can include sensors, actuators, motors, and control systems that utilize electrical signals to perform mechanical tasks.

2. What are some specific applications of electric/electronics in mechanical engineering?

Some specific applications of electric/electronics in mechanical engineering include robotics, automation, mechatronics, electric vehicles, renewable energy systems, and smart manufacturing. These fields use a combination of mechanical and electrical engineering principles to design and create efficient and advanced systems.

3. How does knowledge of electric/electronics benefit a mechanical engineer?

Knowledge of electric/electronics can benefit a mechanical engineer by allowing them to design and develop complex and advanced mechanical systems. It also enables them to troubleshoot and maintain these systems, as well as keep up with the latest advancements in technology.

4. What skills are needed to apply electric/electronics to MechE?

To apply electric/electronics to MechE, one needs a strong foundation in both mechanical and electrical engineering principles. This includes knowledge of circuits, control systems, programming, and design principles. Skills in problem-solving, critical thinking, and communication are also important for success in this field.

5. Are there any specific courses or training programs for learning about electric/electronics in MechE?

Yes, there are many courses and training programs available for learning about electric/electronics in MechE. Some universities offer specific degree programs in mechatronics or electromechanical engineering. Additionally, there are online courses, workshops, and conferences focused on this topic. It is also beneficial to gain hands-on experience through internships or projects in this field.