How could I melt Titanium?

Titanium's melting point is between 1,600 and 1,700 degrees Celsius. What sort of equipment would I require to melt it? Is there something I can buy and install in my own little area that could melt titanium? Would I be able to power it or can this only be pulled off in a factory?

Thanks.

Nugatory

Mentor
You'll have to tell us a lot more to get good answers - what quantity are you thinking about, purity required, what material you're starting with, and above all else what you're wanting to do with your melted titanium.

You'll have to tell us a lot more to get good answers - what quantity are you thinking about, purity required, what material you're starting with, and above all else what you're wanting to do with your melted titanium.
True. Say a 30cm x 30cm wide sheet, 1cm thick. Starting with pure Ti. Wanting to pour the melted Ti into a mould.

Baluncore

Science Advisor
You will need a shielding gas such as argon to prevent oxygen getting into the furnace or the mold during casting.
Use an electric arc or a reducing flame to heat the material in the furnace. Maybe oxy-acetylene will do it.

Nidum

Science Advisor
Gold Member
You can at minimum melt Titanium in a crucible using flux and loose cover but it is an uncertain and hazardous process .

Very spectacular when seen in a demonstration but definitely not suitable for DIY use by inexperienced people .

Titanium for serious applications is commonly melted in an induction furnace with inert gas or vacuum to prevent air contamination and actual combustion .

For critical components the entire melting and casting process is done in vacuum or inert gas environment and with controlled temperatures at all points . Cooling is also done at controlled rates .

If your proposed Titanium plate is for any engineering purpose it really needs to be a specific alloy in a specific condition .

I don't see any actual need to cast your own - you could buy same very easily and at just a few percent of cost of trying to cast one yourself .

You will need a shielding gas such as argon to prevent oxygen getting into the furnace or the mold during casting.
Use an electric arc or a reducing flame to heat the material in the furnace. Maybe oxy-acetylene will do it.
Would an electrical arc furnace be easy to acquire, install, and use in one's own workplace?

You can at minimum melt Titanium in a crucible using flux and loose cover but it is an uncertain and hazardous process .

Very spectacular when seen in a demonstration but definitely not suitable for DIY use by inexperienced people .

Titanium for serious applications is commonly melted in an induction furnace with inert gas or vacuum to prevent air contamination and actual combustion .

For critical components the entire melting and casting process is done in vacuum or inert gas environment and with controlled temperatures at all points . Cooling is also done at controlled rates .

If your proposed Titanium plate is for any engineering purpose it really needs to be a specific alloy in a specific condition .

I don't see any actual need to cast your own - you could buy same very easily and at just a few percent of cost of trying to cast one yourself .
What exactly do you mean by "buy same very easily"? And are you talking about a miniature induction furnace?

Nidum

Science Advisor
Gold Member
I meant buy the plate .

I meant buy the plate .
Certainly easier than melting anything, and the result will be much better as well.
There are companies that will create you (nearly) every shape you like.