How Deep Is the Cavern if a Pebble Takes 1.8 Seconds to Hit the Water?

  • Thread starter Thread starter domdom
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Kinematic
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
domdom
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


An explorer drops a pebble into a cavern to see how deep it is. At 1.8 seconds, the explorer hears the pebble hit the water. The speed of sound travels at 345 m/s in the cave. How deep is the cavern?

This seems like a kinematic question but I can seem to get the right answer. Does anyone have any idea how to approach this? The answer is 15 meters btw.


Homework Equations



The kinematics equations.

The Attempt at a Solution



I've tried letting the time it takes the pebble to hit the ground to be 1.8 minus the time it takes for the sound to come back up. So I had something like t=1.8-d/Vs, where Vs is the speed of sound. I tried plugging that time into a kinematic formula but I had no luck.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
What do you know about the distance that the pebble falls and the distance that the sound wave travels? How does the time it takes the pebble to reach the surface depend on the drop height h?