How Derivatives Affect the Graph (Proving Question)

In summary, the problem shows that the product of two positive, increasing, concave upward functions on interval I is also concave upward. This remains true even if both functions are decreasing, as long as they are still positive and concave. The proof involves finding the second derivative of the product function, which is the sum of the second derivatives of the individual functions.
cjaylee

Homework Statement

(a) If f and g are positive, increasing, concave upward functions on I, show that the product function fg is concave upward on I.

(b)Show that part (a) remains true if f and g are both decreasing.

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

(a)
f>0, f'>0, f''>0
g>0, g'>0, g''>0

(fg)'=f'g+fg'>0
(fg)''=f''g+2f'g'+fg''>0 and so fg is concave upward on I.

(b)
f'<0, f''<0
g'<0, g''<0

(fg)''=f''g+2f'g'+fg''

I have 2f'g'>0 but f''g <0 and fg''<0. Then I'm stuck here. The answer mentioned that (fg)"> or equals to f''g+fg''>0 but I ain't sure how that came about.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
cjaylee said:
f'<0, f''<0
g'<0, g''<0

They are still positive and concave, aren't they?

If f and g are both decreasing, then f'<0 and g'<0. Is that right? And if both the slopes are decreasing, then f''<0 and g''<0?

That does not mean that the slopes are decreasing. Suppose for example f = 1/x.

It says in the text that if f'>0, then f is increasing and if f'<0, then f is decreasing on the interval?

... and the text would be correct. However, f is not the slope, f is the function. f' is the slope and knowing that the slope is negative does definitely not tell you how it is changing.

Oh okay. Thanks.

1. How do derivatives affect the shape of a graph?

Derivatives provide information about the slope of a function at any given point. Therefore, they can affect the shape of the graph by indicating whether the function is increasing, decreasing, or constant at that point.

2. How do derivatives affect the concavity of a graph?

The second derivative of a function provides information about the concavity of the graph. If the second derivative is positive, the graph is concave up, and if it is negative, the graph is concave down. This can impact the overall shape of the graph.

3. Can derivatives change the x-intercepts of a graph?

No, derivatives do not change the x-intercepts of a graph. The x-intercepts represent the points where the function crosses the x-axis, and derivatives only provide information about the slope and concavity of the graph at those points.

4. How do derivatives affect the critical points of a graph?

Derivatives help to identify the critical points of a graph, which are the points where the slope of the function is zero or undefined. These points can be important in determining the behavior of the graph.

5. How do derivatives affect the rate of change of a graph?

Derivatives directly represent the rate of change of a function at any given point. Therefore, they can impact the overall rate of change of the graph and provide information about the speed at which the graph is increasing or decreasing.