Prove g(0)=0 from f'(x).(fg)(f(x))=g'(f(x)).f'(x)

• Thread starter Stevela
  • Start date
In summary: It seems like the question is missing something: maybe the requirement that f be surjective. Does anyone else have any comments on this?
Stevela

Homework Statement

Hello,
Suppose that f and g are differentiable functions satisfying
##\displaystyle \int_{0}^{f(x)} (fg)(t) \, \mathrm{d}t=g(f(x))##
Prove that g(0)=0
now if f(x)=0 in some point then it's straigh forward that g(f(x))=g(0)=0 anyways:
differentiating the first formula we get the following equation :

f'(x).(fg)(f(x))=g'(f(x)).f'(x)

let's suppose that f'(x)=0 , thus f is constant i.e f(x)=c, if c=0 we are done , g(0)=0 , if c=/=0 then :

##\displaystyle \int_{0}^{c} fg(t) \, \mathrm{d}t##=g(c)

##\displaystyle \int_{0}^{c} g(t) \, \mathrm{d}t##=g(c)/c, **i'm stuck here** , how can we prove that g(0)=0 (or get a contradiction) from this equation?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you mean f(t)g(t) on the left hand side and not f(g(t))? what does the actualy question state

I think you need to add the assumption that [itex]f'(x)\neq 0[/itex] I think then it works, as someone posted on your stack exchange (link you posted)

Theorem. said:
I think you need to add the assumption that [itex]f'(x)\neq 0[/itex] I think then it works, as someone posted on your stack exchange (link you posted)

I'm not convinced yet. If f(x) = 0 for some x then the result is trivial, so suppose f(x) >= c > 0 for all x. The equation f′(x)f(f(x))g(f(x))=g′(f(x))f′(x), after cancelling f'(x), leads to f(f(x))g(f(x))=g′(f(x)). The deduction that f(y)g(y) = g'(y) is only valid for the range of f. In particular, it's not valid for 0 < y < c.

haruspex said:
I'm not convinced yet. If f(x) = 0 for some x then the result is trivial, so suppose f(x) >= c > 0 for all x. The equation f′(x)f(f(x))g(f(x))=g′(f(x))f′(x), after cancelling f'(x), leads to f(f(x))g(f(x))=g′(f(x)). The deduction that f(y)g(y) = g'(y) is only valid for the range of f. In particular, it's not valid for 0 < y < c.

Yeah I know, I wasn't too sure about that either...
It seems like the question is missing something: maybe the requirement that [itex]f[/itex] be surjective. Does anyone else have any comments on this?

Related to Prove g(0)=0 from f'(x).(fg)(f(x))=g'(f(x)).f'(x)

1. How can I prove that g(0) equals 0 using the given equation?

The key to proving this equation is to use basic algebraic manipulations and the given information about f'(x) and g'(f(x)).

2. Why is it important to prove g(0) = 0 from the given equation?

Proving this equation is important because it demonstrates the relationship between the functions f(x) and g(x) and their derivatives. It also allows for a better understanding of the behavior of these functions at the point x = 0.

3. What are the steps involved in proving g(0) = 0 from the given equation?

The steps involved in proving this equation include using the product rule, chain rule, and substitution to manipulate the given equation into a form that proves g(0) = 0. These steps will involve simplifying the equation and isolating the terms involving g(0).

4. Can this equation be proved using any other methods?

Yes, there are multiple ways to prove this equation. Some other methods may include using limits, the definition of a derivative, or the mean value theorem.

5. What are the implications of proving g(0) = 0 from the given equation?

Proving this equation has implications for the behavior of the functions f(x) and g(x) at the point x = 0. It also shows that the derivatives of these functions are related in a specific way, and this relationship can be used to solve other problems involving these functions.