1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How did they get these 3 boundaries?

1. Aug 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The question is attached in the picture.

3. The attempt at a solution

From the question I deduced that there are 3 boundaries: red, green and blue.

Blue Boundary

This one is the easiest:

That part of the curve of y2 = 4a(a-x), which corresponds to u = a.

Red Boundary

This corresponds to x = 0, y > 0.
    When x = 0,

y2 = 4u2 = 4v2, which corresponds to u = v.

Blue Boundary

This happens when y = 0, x > 0.

When y = 0,

u = 0 or u = x. ------ (1)

v = 0 or v = -x.

Not sure what is going on here...

To try and vizualize the boundaries in the u-v (u,v) plane, I tried to find the intersection between each boundary.

Blue-red Intersection

u = a AND u = v

Therefore, this corresponds to the point (a, a)

I've yet to find the red-green intersection and the blue-green intersection..

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2012 #2
    I have a better idea..
    Instead of going through and trying to formulate each of these piece by piece, try expressing x=x(u,v) and y=y(u,v)
    For instance
    [itex]y^{2}=4u(u-x)=4v(v+x)\Rightarrow 4(u^2-v^2)-4x(u+v)=0 \Rightarrow (u^2-v^2)=x(u+v)[/itex] so for x>0, and v≠-u≠0, we get [itex]x=u-v[/itex]
    Using this, we find
    [itex] y^2=4v(v+x)=4v(v+(u-v))=4uv\Rightarrow y=2\sqrt{uv}[/itex] (we can omit the plus or minus, because we are considering y>0.

4. Aug 23, 2012 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

You need to recognize that u and v are both non-negative. Then the only way to satisfy ##y^2=4v(v+x)=0## when x>0 is to have v=0.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  5. Aug 24, 2012 #4
    That is true, but they mentioned nothing about value of u=?

6. Aug 24, 2012 #5
    I understand that this is also a way to solve it. But sometimes the functions aren't as straightforward as these, so I would like to know the analytical method suggested here..

7. Aug 24, 2012 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

It's easiest to see what's happening in the figure (Figure 6.1) you posted. If you're on the x-axis and x runs from 0 to 2, what values does u have to go through?

You can throw out the u=0 solution because with it, you won't have any restrictions on the value of x. That is, x can be any value and you'd satisfy both equations. But you need to ensure that x is between 0 and 2 on the bottom boundary.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook