1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Solve Laplace equation on rectangle domain

1. Apr 15, 2016 #1

Dor

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I'm having issues with a Laplace problem. actually, I have two different boundary problems which I dont know how to solve analytically.
    I couldn't find anything on this situations and if anybody could point me in the right direction it would be fantastic.
    It's just Laplace's equation on the square [0,a]x[0,b] with a mixed boundary.

2. Relevant equations

1. the first one is:

Uxx+Uyy=0
    Ux(0,y)= 0
    Ux(a,y)= f(y) (some function)
    U(x,0)= 0
    Uy(x,b)= v (some constant)

1. the second is:

Uxx+Uyy=0
    Ux(0,y)= 0
    U(a,y)= g(y) (some function)
    U(x,0)= 0
    Uy(x,b)= v (some constant)

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried to do ordinary separable solution but I don't really know how to do this in such problems.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2016 #2
  4. Apr 16, 2016 #3

Dor

I know the variable separation method.
    But I'm not sure how to do it when in one side of the rectangle there is a Dirichlet boundary U(x,b)=const and in the other one I have Neumann boundary Uy(x,0)=0

5. Apr 16, 2016 #4

pasmith

Homework Helper

Laplace's equation is linear. You can always write the solution as a sum of solutions satisfying simpler boundary conditions. For example in the second problem you can set [itex]U = U_1 + U_2[/itex] where [itex]U_1[/itex] satisfies [tex]
    U_x(0,y) = 0 \\ U(a,y) = f(y) \\ U(x,0) = 0 \\ U_y(x,b) = 0 [/tex] and [itex]U_2 [/itex] satisfies [tex]
    U_x(0,y) = 0 \\ U(a,y) = 0 \\ U(x,0) = 0 \\ U_y(x,b) = v[/tex]

6. Apr 17, 2016 #5

Dor

I'm not sure how to solve it when I have one side with Dirichlet boundary and the other side with Neumann boundary.
    U ( x , 0 ) = 0
    U y ( x , b ) = 0
    or
    U ( x , 0 ) = 0
    U y ( x , b ) = v

7. Apr 17, 2016 #6

pasmith

Homework Helper

We're looking for [itex]U = \sum_n X_n(x)Y_n(y)[/itex]

For [itex]U(x,0) = U_y(x,b) = 0[/itex] you need [itex]Y_n(0) = 0[/itex] and [itex]Y_n'(b) = 0[/itex]. Therefore set [itex]Y_n(y) = \sin k_ny[/itex] so [itex]Y_n(0) = 0[/itex] is satisfied and [itex]k_n[/itex] is determined by [itex]Y_n'(b) = k_n\cos k_nb = 0[/itex].

For [itex]U(x,0) = 0[/itex] and [itex]U_y(x,b) = v[/itex], you should regard [itex]v[/itex] as a function of [itex]x[/itex] to be expanded as a fourier series; accordingly [itex]Y_n[/itex] will be an exponential function with [itex]Y_n(0) = 0[/itex] and (for convenience) [itex]Y_n'(b) = 1[/itex]. The combination of exponentials which satisfies these is [itex]Y_n(y) = \sinh(k_ny)/\sinh(k_nb)[/itex] where [itex]k_n[/itex] is determined by the boundary conditions on [itex]X_n[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted