1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How did this second-order initial value problem do this?

1. Mar 13, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find a second-order initial-value problem whose solution is sin at

3. The attempt at a solution

so i know that

y' = a cos at
    y" = -a^2 sin at

but the solution says that

"Then y(t) = sin at is
    a solution to 2 y ''+ a y = 0 . Our initial conditions must be y(0) = 0, y '(0) = a ."

how do i know that it's 2y'' + a y? how come it couldn't be something else like y''+y'+ y?

thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2009 #2

djeitnstine

Gold Member

This is because y"+y=0 is the only DE that has the solution of the form Acos kt + Bsin kt, other DE's have a solution of the form [tex]Ae^{bt}+...[/tex] such as the one you posted. (y"+y'+y). This stems from the characteristic equation [tex]r^{2}+r=0[/tex] which has complex roots...

4. Mar 14, 2009 #3

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That can't be right; [itex]y(t)=\sin(at)[/itex] is not the solution to that DE, [itex]y(t)=\sqrt{2a}\sin(\sqrt{\frac{a}{2}}t)
    [/itex] is.

Either you've made a typo/error, or the solution manual has a typo/error or some combination of the two.

Well, as you've found, if [itex]y(t)=\sin(at)[/itex], then [itex]y'(t)=a\cos(at)[/itex] which is orthogonal to both y(t) and y''(t) (you can't add some non-zero multiple of cos(at) to some polynomial of sin(at) and get a constant or zero), so the DE cant contain a y'(t) term....

5. Mar 14, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, if y= sin(at), then y'= -a cos(at) and y"= -a2sin(at).

The simplest second order differential equation y= sin(at) satisfies is y"+ a2y= 0. I don't know where you got that "2".

(I wouldn't be surprised if this were the answer to "problem 2"!)

6. Mar 14, 2009 #5
    thanks!

turns out there wasn't a "2" anywhere...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook