How do AC and DC affect the body differently?

In summary, the conversation is about understanding the effects of AC and DC on the body and the interaction between electric current and magnetism. The person is also seeking help with questions related to the effect of frequency on impedance, the difference between peak and RMS voltages in AC, and the role of impedance and inductors in electricity. They have been directed to seek information from sources such as Wiki and a university's online learning platform.
Boomting
Hi all :)
As the title says how do Ac and DC affect the body differently?

Also if anyone knows the answer to these questions as well I'd REALLY appreciate it :)

1.How electric current and magnetism interact
2.The effect on frequency on the impedance of a capacitor and the impedance of an inducer
3.The difference between peak and RMS voltages in AC

Thank you!

Engineering news on Phys.org
This looks like homework to me?

Its part of an assignment I have to do. I'm confused on what the questions are asking and need help?

It's fine to for us to help with work, but we don't do it for you. Explain what you have managed to do and what in particular you don't understand and you will get help.

Go to Wiki for information on how AC & DC affect the body

A current running through a wire will produce a magnetic field around the wire

The frequency effects the reactence (ohms) look up XL = 2(phi)fL and XC = 1/(2(phi)fC)

RMS stands for route mean square (average)

Studiot said:
It's fine to for us to help with work, but we don't do it for you. Explain what you have managed to do and what in particular you don't understand and you will get help.

I don't get the questions? I can't find anything on them especially number 1 and 2. I don't understand them and don't know what I'm looking for to be honest. And all the questions I have done obviously I haven't put them up on here.

led rat said:
Go to Wiki for information on how AC & DC affect the body

A current running through a wire will produce a magnetic field around the wire

The frequency effects the reactence (ohms) look up XL = 2(phi)fL and XC = 1/(2(phi)fC)

RMS stands for route mean square (average)

Thank you :)

I have no idea what you might be studying to have finding the answer to those questions as an 'assignment', or what you might have been taught already.

Do you understand the terms you have used:

AC, DC, impedance, frequency, capacitor, inductor, voltage?

Impedance I don't understand and inductor. I just don't understand what I'm meant to be finding from the questions..

The University of Ontario hosts a very good online E learning section on basic electricity.
You really do need to start at the beginning. It's free.

www.allaboutcircuits.com

Thank you

1. How does AC and DC electrical current affect the body differently?

AC (alternating current) and DC (direct current) have different effects on the body because of the way they flow through the body. AC current continuously changes direction, while DC current flows in one direction.

2. Can AC and DC currents cause different types of injuries?

Yes, AC and DC currents can cause different types of injuries. AC current can cause muscle contractions and potentially lead to cardiac arrest, while DC current can cause burns and nerve damage.

3. Why is AC current considered more dangerous than DC current?

AC current is considered more dangerous because it has the ability to cause continuous muscle contractions which can lead to cardiac arrest. Additionally, AC current can cause a person to become "frozen" onto the source of electricity, making it difficult for them to let go.

4. Do AC and DC currents affect the body differently based on the frequency?

Yes, the frequency of the current can affect how it affects the body. Higher frequencies of AC current can cause more severe muscle contractions, while lower frequencies can cause the body to feel a tingling sensation.

5. Can AC and DC currents have long-term effects on the body?

Yes, both AC and DC currents can have long-term effects on the body. Repeated exposure to high levels of AC current can lead to permanent nerve and muscle damage, while DC current can cause long-term skin and tissue damage.