Impact of AC effects on current density analysis of pcb for 50-60Hz

In summary, the current density analysis of a PCB that handles distribution of AC power can be done by DC IR drop, but to take into consideration AC effects, one needs to go to AC impedance analysis. With Mentor superpowers, one can see what country you are posting from.
ursonor99
TL;DR Summary
what is the correct approach to current density analysis of a PCB when it is distributing 50-60 hz AC power
Hello ,
I was looking into current density analysis of a PCB that handles distribution of AC power . from ansys and cadence sites , i realized by current density they refer to DC IR drop that is a pure ohmic analysis that doesn't take into consideration the AC effects . And in order to take this into consideration , we need to go to AC impedance analysis and obtain EM losses . But I observed this kind of analysis was done for high frequency AC circuits for decoupling cap suggestions etc .

So i was curious to know how much the current density behavior will deviate from DC for a low frequency like 50-60Hz ? as for such frequencies the skin depths are much greater than trace width and thickness

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

Your instincts are good; 50-60Hz AC should not deviate much from DC for reasonable size PCBs. Is this for a power supply PCBA? Why are you needing to distribute AC Mains frequencies on a PCB? What kind of currents and voltages are involved? Are you well-versed in safety agency AC Mains design rules?

berkeman said:
Welcome to PF.

Your instincts are good; 50-60Hz AC should not deviate much from DC for reasonable size PCBs. Is this for a power supply PCBA? Why are you needing to distribute AC Mains frequencies on a PCB? What kind of currents and voltages are involved? Are you well-versed in safety agency AC Mains design rules?
The voltages are 208VAC 4W . the pcb takes AC mains power and generates few DC voltages and also powers few AC motors etc .

The traces on a circuit board are thin compared to skin depth in copper at 50/60 Hz. For that reason AC effects can be ignored. The tracks will be wide, so will have lower inductance. Avoid multi-layers as I²R heat needs to escape.

One problem will be having enough copper section to carry the required current.
Another problem will be surface insulation breakdown between tracks or surface terminals, that may require slots be cut in the PCB.

Likes berkeman
ursonor99 said:
The voltages are 208VAC 4W . the pcb takes AC mains power and generates few DC voltages and also powers few AC motors etc .
With my Mentor superpowers, I can see what country you are posting from. What safety agency approvals will you be applying for with this new product?

Last edited:
Likes dlgoff

1. How does AC affect current density analysis of PCB?

AC, or alternating current, can cause fluctuations in the current flow on a PCB (printed circuit board) due to its changing direction. This can impact the accuracy of current density analysis, as it may not accurately represent the average current flow over time.

2. What is the frequency range of AC effects on current density analysis?

The frequency range of AC effects on current density analysis is typically between 50-60Hz, as this is the standard frequency for power supply in many countries. However, it can vary depending on the specific circuit and components being analyzed.

3. How can AC effects on current density analysis be mitigated?

There are several ways to mitigate the impact of AC effects on current density analysis. One approach is to use a low-pass filter to smooth out the fluctuations in current flow. Another option is to increase the frequency of the analysis to capture a more accurate representation of the current flow.

4. Are there any specific components or materials that are more susceptible to AC effects on current density analysis?

Yes, components with high impedance or inductance, such as capacitors and inductors, are more likely to be affected by AC effects on current density analysis. Additionally, materials with high conductivity, such as copper, can also be impacted.

5. How important is it to consider AC effects in current density analysis of PCBs?

It is crucial to consider AC effects in current density analysis of PCBs, as it can significantly impact the reliability and performance of the circuit. Neglecting to account for AC effects can lead to inaccurate results and potentially cause malfunctions or failures in the circuit.