How Batteries Work: An Electrochemical Explanation

In summary, batteries work by converting chemical energy into electrical energy through two separate reactions, oxidation and reduction. These reactions require the transfer of electrons, which is facilitated by completing the circuit between the two terminals of the battery. The chemical reactions achieve equilibrium when there is no electrical path from the anode to the cathode, but when the circuit is closed, the reactions continue, converting the energy. It is important to note that each half reaction achieves its own equilibrium, and they cannot be considered as a single reaction without the presence of charge exchange.
Alex Hughes
So, I'm a little confused on how batteries work. I understand they convert chemical energy into electrical energy. I also understand that the battery consists of an anode and a cathode with an electolyte in the middle to force the electrons from the chemical reaction to have to follow the wires in the circuit. But everywhere I read it says the chemical reactions in the battery are triggered as soon as you connect the two terminals with a conducting wire. How does completing the circuit all of a sudden trigger the chemical reactions? Also, in my physics class they always told us to think of the electrons as sliding down to a lower potential and being driven back up to the higher potential by some electromotive force. However, this goes against what I've been reading. It seems once the electrons flow from the anode to the cathode, they stay there until all the electrons produced from the chemical reaction are equally distributed between the two leads and no potential difference occurs anymore. Is what they tried to explain to us in physics only for conventional current? Or do the electrons actually go back to the anode after they have been dumped into the cathode. Lastly, what do these chemical reactions consist of and how do they work? Sorry for rambling, just didn't know the order to ask my questions. Would appreciate a detailed response. Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
There are two separate reactions in any battery - one is oxidation (produces electrons) the other is reduction (consumes electrons). Neither can work on itself, they require transfer of electrons. When you close the circuit you allow this transfer of electrons so both reactions can go on.

These separate reaction are called half reactions, as opposed to the overall reaction describing whole system at once. So, in a simple Zn/Cu battery copper is reduced:

Cu2+ + 2e- → Cu

and zinc is oxidized:

Zn → Zn2+ + 2e-

overall reaction being

Cu2+ + Zn → Cu + Zn2+

Now, when you stick copper wire into copper ions solution it will have some potential (reaction goes ahead a bit, charging the wire). Same happens when you stick the zinc rod into the solution of zinc ions. Connect them, and electrons will flow. Not for long though, you need the circuit to be closed on the "other end" as well (but there it is just a matter of chemically inert ions traveling, not electrons).

Likes Bystander
The chemical reaction achieves equilibrium with no electrical path from anode to cathode (in side is flooded with free electrons, the other has a deficit) - when you complete the circuit, it comes out of equilibrium and the chemical reaction continues converting the energy.

Windadct said:
The chemical reaction achieves equilibrium with no electrical path from anode to cathode

To be more precise: each half reaction achieves a separate equilibrium. As long as there is no charge exchange they can't be thought of as a single reaction.

It may look like a nitpicking, but I know from experience that these details is what many people miss when they try to understand the batteries.

Likes Windadct and dlgoff

1. How do batteries produce electricity?

Batteries produce electricity through a process called electrochemical reaction. Inside the battery, there are two electrodes, a negatively charged anode and a positively charged cathode. When the battery is connected to a circuit, electrons flow from the anode to the cathode, creating a current.

2. What is the role of electrolytes in batteries?

Electrolytes are crucial components in batteries as they allow the movement of ions between the two electrodes. They are typically made of a solution of salts or acids that can conduct electricity. This movement of ions is what enables the electrochemical reaction and the production of electricity.

3. How do different types of batteries work?

Different types of batteries work on the same principle of electrochemical reaction, but they may use different materials for the electrodes and electrolyte. For example, alkaline batteries use zinc as the anode and manganese dioxide as the cathode, while lithium-ion batteries use lithium compounds for both electrodes.

4. What factors affect the performance of a battery?

The performance of a battery can be affected by various factors such as temperature, age, and the type of material used for the electrodes and electrolyte. Higher temperatures can increase the rate of electrochemical reactions, while aging can decrease a battery's capacity to hold a charge.

5. Can batteries be recycled?

Yes, batteries can be recycled to recover valuable materials such as lithium, cobalt, and nickel. Recycling batteries not only conserves natural resources but also prevents harmful chemicals from entering the environment. It is important to dispose of batteries properly to ensure they are recycled safely.