How do cougars raise their young

• Thread starter KingNothing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Young
In summary, the conversation discusses questions about animal behavior, specifically the hunting and social habits of big cats and other species. It is mentioned that some species, like lions, have a harem-like social structure and hunt and raise their young together. On the other hand, tigers are thought to be solitary and the females may need to find a safe hide-out for their cubs. However, new research has shown that some Indonesian tiger species can be social and congregate in groups at night. It is also noted that social insects and humans are considered highly social, but it may be difficult to rank one species as the most social.
KingNothing
I have some questions about animals that I want answered. I know this is a physics forum, but this crowd is generally the most educated of all the forums I frequent, so I ask general questions here.

1. Big cats, like cougars and leopards, do they hunt alone? How do they raise their young, and feed their young.

2. What are the most social animals? What species help other members of the species out the most?

Biology news on Phys.org
1) It depends on the species. Do you have a favorite you'd like that answered for?

2) You'll probably get a range of opinions on something like this, but the social insects, like ants and bees, probably qualify in the final running for the category. Other animals that live in colonies would likely qualify as well...I've been watching way too much of Meerkat Manor lately, and they seem to have a pretty organized social structure including things like babysitting duties. Humans rank pretty high up there too. There are other examples at the tip of my tongue (fingers?) that I'm trying to recall...I'd want to double check before adding them to the list because I might be misremembering things. I'm not sure it would be that easy to really rank anyone as the MOST social.

0. PF is NOT just a physics forums (otherwise there wouldn't have been a biology sub-forum here, would it?). Feel free to ask any biology questions here as well.

1. Lions are fairly social big cats, with a harem-like social structure. The lionesses (often sisters) raise their cubs in common, and hunts together.
When the old he-lion is defeated in battle with a new male, the new male usually kills off any cubs remaining.

I believe the tigers are rather solitary, at least the males. Since the female needs to hunt as well as raising the cub(s?), I assume that it is critical for her to find a safe hide-out for the cub. (I am unaware if female tigers band together for mutual protection, I'd be interested to here the true story about how the tigers manage this).

Last edited:
i heard from a friend that new research has shown that some indonesian species of tiger can be very social at times and family groups have been observed congregating at night in bands of up to 5 or 6

chalky said:
i heard from a friend that new research has shown that some indonesian species of tiger can be very social at times and family groups have been observed congregating at night in bands of up to 5 or 6
Interesting!
Thanks for puncturing another myth I've believed in! :smile:

1. How many cubs do cougars typically have in a litter?

Cougars, also known as mountain lions, typically give birth to a litter of 1-6 cubs at a time. However, the average litter size is 2-3 cubs.

2. How long do cougars stay with their cubs?

Cougars are solitary animals and the mothers are solely responsible for raising their young. They will stay with their cubs for 1-2 years, until the cubs are old enough to hunt and survive on their own.

3. How do cougars teach their cubs to hunt?

Female cougars will bring back prey to their cubs and allow them to practice hunting skills. They will also teach their cubs how to stalk and ambush prey, as well as share kills with them.

4. How long do cougars nurse their cubs?

Cougar cubs are nursed for the first 2-3 months of their lives. After that, they start to eat solid food and continue to nurse for a few more months. By the time they are 6 months old, they are weaned off their mother's milk.

5. Do cougars stay together as a family after the cubs are grown?

No, cougars are solitary animals and once the cubs are old enough to fend for themselves, they will leave their mother and establish their own territories. However, female cougars may occasionally tolerate their adult daughters in their territory.