How do primates diversify their genes and avoid birth defects?

• Thread starter icakeov
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I was wondering if there are any studies that have researched how other primates diversify their genes?

Do young primates get driven away from the groups they get born into after they age to maturity? Is there a difference between what happens to males vs. females?

And if some of them stick around, how do they "monitor" for the genetic diversity when mating to avoid birth defects? (Assuming that they have this same problem as humans)

Any thoughts appreciated!

p.s. I did find some good information in this article:
https://www.nature.com/scitable/knowledge/library/primate-sociality-and-social-systems-58068905

Last edited:

Answers and Replies

I do not know the answer to your question but would like to offer some perspective. It is possible that incest is not nearly the problem it is made out to be for two reasons.
1. In order for incest to be a factor in birth defects, the degenerate genes would have to be both rare and recessive. If not rare, there wouldn't be a significantly greater chance of acquiring them through incest than from the population at large. If not recessive, then if either partner carried the gene, it could be passed on to the offspring.
2. Any birth defects resulting from incest would make the offspring less likely to reproduce. It may be that deformed babies are killed immediately. Thus in a society that practices incest, detrimental genes should be weeded out faster.

That was very helpful, thank you!